1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 String (Octave) Bass Build Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MesSihr, Jul 1, 2018.

1. MesSihr

MesSihr

Jun 28, 2016
    South Jersey
    Hello All,

So I am in the midst of having a custom 8 string (octave) bass built. The plan is a mahogany body Flying V shape with Hipshot hardware, an Audere preamp, Lace pickups and a custom Warmoth 8 string neck. I ordered the neck without really thinking about it until I realized that all of the tuning machine holes are drilled for bass (Gotoh G7 14mm), which is the only option available. However, none of the guitar tuning machines come close to that size. So here is my dilemma: are there companies that make such a large sized head stock peg machine, or is it ok if I just use bass tuners for the guitar strings? I mean, all the 8 strings I've owned or played have the two different sized ones but I also know that piccolo basses don't necessarily require conversion. What do I do?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You should be fine using bass tuners for the octave strings, many 8s are set up like that.

Bob_Ross and sissy kathy like this.
  3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    A benefit of using all bass tuners is that you can swap the order of the high/low octaves if you want, assuming the nut is cut properly. I just did a fretless 8 build using the warmoth neck, still need to dial a couple things in I think but it's a fantastic neck and I've got it loaded with gb7's all around.

bholder likes this.
  4. MesSihr

MesSihr

Jun 28, 2016
    South Jersey
    Thanks @bkbirge and @bholder for the advice!

On an aside, are there any companies that make hard shell cases that would fit this thing?