1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8-string P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Quite good conversion I have to say, it could be way clumsier.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, looks like you could undo the conversion and just have to replace the nut and bridge. that's cool.

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    That bridge looks like it could hurt somebody. I wouldn't pay that much for it, either.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Whoever did this conversion really thought it out. Very minimal intrusion of the original bass and can easily be converted back to 4. Nicely done, but I wouldn't pay that price.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Agreed. And it looks to be in good shape.

Wonder what's with the only one volume knob, though?

And regarding the price... well the seller is kind of in a bind. If someone wanted that bass as-is, maybe they would pay it. And that may be what the seller feels he needs for what he has into it. But no one who is just going to convert it back to a 4 would pay $1,500 cause you could get an unmodded '79 P for less than that, in at least this good of shape. I'm going to guess it will wind up going for considerably less than that if he's serious about moving it.

In any event, I would be really interested to hear how that thing sounded.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I remember seeing ads for the Octapus 8-string conversion kits in Guitar Player Magazine way back in the day (er, like late '70's I guess?) but this is the first time I've seen one actually executed

...yeah, that bridge does look kinda painful.