8 string player needs help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thomasld, May 5, 2005.

1. thomasld

May 5, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a Schecter Studio 8 (4 string w/octaves). I read an article somewhere about an 8 string player separating the octave string freqs from the bass string freqs and sending the octave freqs to a guitar amp and the "normal" bass freqs to a bass amp. I think part of this setup involved a midi pickup but I'm not sure. I play in a 3 peice R&R band and filling out the sound like this is very appealing to me (the reason I bought an 8 in the first place.) Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? What kind of midi pickup is used, if at all?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    You'd probably need to use piezo bridge elements to do that. It'd be pretty darn hard with any sort of magnetic pickup.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    However, I think it's not necessary. Far more feasible and most likely sounding about the same would be to just wire it so that the bridge pickup goes to one amp and the neck pickup to a different one (a la Rick-o-Sound). I believe that's what John Paul Jones does.
  4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You could also get a bigger sound setting up like Doug Pinnick from King's X. Split your signal through a crossover. Run your lows to a bass amp and your highs to a distorted guitar amp or bass amp. That way you get a crisp, clear distortion while still having the defined lows. The 8 and 12 string basses accent it even more.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

A search should put you in touch with guys dinking with this. If fact it seems most of the 6+ string posts are along these lines. At any rate, I did a micro version with a DM DP 122 and heres my experience:

Stereo playing itself is seldom seen these days because, as mentioned, similar results can be achieved through running sound using a traditional bass. Going through pups you'd either have to use a pair of pups to seperate the strings or have a single pup with split coils (and seperate leads) that cover the related strings.