8-string Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Dec 20, 2002.

1. I'm really thinking of getting a Rick, and an 8-string, so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone, and get an 8-string Rick. Anyone play one of these things? I here there are two models, is anyone better than the other? What's a good price for a used one?

I've been told the dude from cheap trick used one. Is this supposed to be a good or a bad thing?:rolleyes: :D
  2. Actually there have been a variety of different models of 8-strings produced by Rickenbacker over the past 35 years. They are all generally the same, mostly minor changes like slightly different truss rods, etc. I haven't played the current Cheyenne model that was introduced this year, but I spent 12 years on stage with my Rick 4003/8. It rocks! Passive electronics, so it doesn't quite have the 'bite' to the sound that is obtainable with active electronics from different brands.<p>The guy from Cheap Trick, Tom Petersson, actually used an old Hagstrom 8 briefly in the 1970's and hated it because it would never stay in tune. He then invented the 12-string bass. Which is the only thing I've found that blows my Rick 8 away.<p>IMPORTANT: Rick 8-strings are strung differently than almost every other brand of 8-string bass! Rick uses an "Inverted" string arrangement that in my opinion is the 'right' way to do it. But it is something that a lot of players have difficulty getting figured out. See the Strings page on my website for details. The graphics are based upon a 12-string bass but the concept is the same. Then read the Techniques page. The Rick string arrangement allows you to play chords in a manner impossible to duplicate on an 8-string strung the standard way. As to prices, there were 3 of them on eBay this past week. You could probably pick one up for $800 to $900 after Christmas when everybody is selling stuff because they are short of cash.<p>Just to show off a little, here's a pic of my Rick 8, it's the only fretless one they've ever made and it's in the rare silver finish.<p>[​IMG]
  3. fretless12ver, nice bass:D I used to have one in autumglo..mine was the 4008...sounded HUGE!!!I loved that bass..it still makes my eyes a little misty to think about it:( ..someday I'll own another,I saw a couple on ebay recently..so I know they're out there....
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Do you have any specific recordings you could point me to with the RIC 8. And when you say inverted do you mean that the thinner octave string is on top?
  5. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    mr turner has an eight string rickenbacker, but im not sure if it counts seeing as its a doubleneck. :eek:
  6. HI Max-
    Here's a diagram I came up with to show the difference between the standard and inverted string arrangements. It's based upon a 12-string instead of an eight, just subtract one high octave string. As to recordings with a Rick 8-string, I'm drawing a complete blank. Will have to think about that for a while.....<p>[​IMG]
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i looks as though the inverted arrangement would be a whole lot easier to pick up and play.

8. I think 8 or 9 hundred would be a pretty good price for somthing like that. Thanks for some of the info you gave me there. I played a Hamer 12-string that was awesome, but I think it might just be a little too ringy and powerful for the type of stuff I'm doing now. It's actually what gave me the idea to get an 8-string. I wonder what an 8 or 12 string with an subharmonizer would sound like?:eek: That would be power!:D :cool:
  9. If you play with a pick as do most 8 & 12-stringer players and use primarily downstrokes, the inverted arrangement makes a lot more sense. That way you are contacting the fundamental string first, which makes it sound bassier. If you use the standard arrangement you are hitting the upper octave strings first, thus accentuating the higher octaves. A commonly heard remark about 12's (not so much about 8's) is that it's tough to get enough low end out of them, all due to how it's strung. The arrangement makes all the difference.<p>Hey Scutterflux- I see you are in Saskatoon. You should check out a bassist in your town named Kevin Macza. He would be a good source of info for you. He plays with a band called Jesus Las Vegas and has a Rick, an 8, and a 12-string. His fingerpicking style of playing 12-string is quite interesting, with one of the best tones anywhere. His band has a song on the 12-string bass CD that was just released by the 12-string bass website. When you meet him, tell him Surf Rat sent you. That should freak him out! Also as to your remark about "Too powerful" - No way! Order the 12-string CD, it can sound any way you want it to. And there are guys using subharmonizers, they all say they rock!
  10. I always thought that the standard way was the inverted way. Having the thickest string as the top one is the only way that makes any sense to me, thanks for the info.
  11. Hey! Fretless12 the 12-string I played was Kevins. Ya! he's a pretty cool guy eh! he got an awsome deal on his 12-string U.S. made Hamer, saved like a grand or something. He's kind of a Slut around here. He play's with a few bands. Right now we have the same flute player. He play's in Sam's (flute) band, and my band recrutes Sam to play a few songs with us. I've been claiming Sam is our Flute player right now. I'm actually dating Sam's sister, so I see Kevin whenever he jams with Sam. How do you know Kevin?:cool:
  12. After considerable searching and consulting with other Rick fans I've only come up with 2 songs where a Rick 8-string bass was used. Both songs are by the band Yes with their awesome bassist Chris Squire. Check out the live version of "Roundabout" on the Classic Yes album. Also "Going for the One" on the CD of the same title.<p>Scutterflux- I only know Kevin through the 12-string bass website. I've been the interim editor of that site while the founder is gone. Kevin and I both have songs of the 12-string bass compilation CD, so we've corresponded a bit by email but that's about it. And like Kevin I too am a Musical Slut. But hey, I get to play 100 nights per year while the "purists" probably only play once a month. And what a small world- you are the one dating Sam's sister now? She's a good kisser!
  13. Ya! Where did you here that from!:D
  14. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Excellent! "Going for the One" is a personal fave of mine(and is the first song I think of when I think 8-string tone!). I just wish Roger Dean did the cover art...I could do without having to stare at that naked guys buttcrack! Its funny you should mention 8-strings cause I just played one I REALLY liked the other day. Its a Dean w/EMGs and a cherry wood finish. It was new for $499. I think I will "Go for that One"! Any feedback on Dean 8's?
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Xush on here has a Dean 8 that I believe he likes quite a bit! I believe it was the inspiration for his in-progress FBB 8. I've played it a few times, but like the thinner neck of my Hagstrom 8 better. It does have a nice sound and feel, though.

Edit: For $499, I think it's a great bass that you can have quite a bit of fun with! If I didn't have my Hagstrom, I sure wouldn't mind dropping $500 for a Dean!
  16. dakotaplaysgtr

Oct 20, 2013
    On Tour
    Anyone know of any 8 string ric's for sale? is there such thing as a 12 string ric bass?
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Well, there is one RIC licensed build.