Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 - String Warmouth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jun 28, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Yesterday i aquired an 8-string bass at the PA guitar show.
    Then neck is a warmouth and i assume the body is also, the bridge is a kramer, no idea about the tuners except they say made in japan and are all standard sized. The body an ash j-style with a translucent blue finish. The bass is p[assive with a v-v-t "jazz" knob setup I have no idea if the bass was made entirely by warmouth or if it was built by an individual from ordered parts. THe dealer i got it from was Barco Rebar in falls church va (my birthplace - how strange is that since i only lived there a year and then moved to CT)?

Overall i have to say that the bass is great, the strings are set up with the normal sized ones on the bottom so fingerstyle playing feels natural and with a little effort you can avoid the octaves most of the time if you want. It sounds just about as good as any hamer 12 i've played, and was a hell of a lot cheaper than a used hamer. I'm no virtuoso, but the crowd that assembled around me was quite impressive with the "what the hell is that?!?!" look on their faces. (And no i wasnt playing the intro to "jeremy", well i did once, but this was after the gawkers showed up - lol). Point being, the thing sounded good and drew a lot of attention. My guitar player berated me for not buying a vintage jazz, but i tried to explain to him that you just dont find good 8-strings. (ok, you hardly ever find 8-strings).

If anyone knows anything abou tthe bass i'd love to hear about it. There is no serial # and i wonder if it was aproject or actually assembled by warmouth (i don't even know if they do that)

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Man, this thing sure is a workout to play!
    there is nothing more humbling than playing scales and arpeggios after 20 years of playing the bass and feeling like a beginner - forget even trying to play fast (but then again, you really don't need to. one note on the 8 has so much more impact than the same on a 4).
    i had one guy here who is a real player check it out. Even he said five minutes with the thing felt like he had been playing for an hour.
    having had time to mess with it i have been able to get some cool sounds out of it - i'm definitely going to enjoy seeing how it sounds in my current "power trio" gig
    overall i'm happy with the instrument. i like the hamer 12 string basses but the 8 string gets very close to that sound and is definitely easier to play (even though it is a lot more work than a 4 or 5)

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Pictures! Please!! You're killing me here...

4. My great friend Paul just gave me his 8 string bass after a Cheap Trick tribute show I did. It too has the Warmoth neck, on a Fender P body, Schaller 8 bridge, sonic blue body, and it is quite not the workout to play. The octve strings, imo, make it much more comfy for my fretting hand, and it just sounds SICK! It has an EMG P/J setup, and it sounds so even and accurate, perfect for the application at hand.

Have fun with yours!

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sorry no pictures yet - i spent my digital camera money on a bass......
    ill have to use my 35mm and scan a photo
    and no, the bass isnt that much of a workout, it's definitly comfortable, just more work than a 4..................i'm gonna have a popeye sized left forearm in a month :smug:

6. Just eats yer spinnich. :smug:

the only thnig I do have trouble with it IS on runs. But try and do the chromatic decend of "Clock Strikes Ten" by Cheap Trick onnit, it's fun once you're used to it.

Played along to some real old King's X yesterday. I tuned it to fifths....well, the e & a groupings...didn't think the G could take it... sounds cool. Who needs guitarists??? :bassist:

7. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Is it very top heavy? I've been kicking around the idea of building for awhile. I noticed that the neck is drilled for bass gears rather than bass and guitar gears.....

lemme know...

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes the bass takes a definite neck dive in your lap - not so bad when standing but i likt the bass gears as hey seem to be better suited to bringing strings up to those levels of tension.

correction - i think the body is a p style rather than j style

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, i got to gig with the bass in question on july 3rd with a rock power trio
    overall it did very well, it's not suited to all songs but i managed to fake it when the drummer counted off the odd blues number before i could switch to my 4
    i don't think the beginning of "sweet emotion" was really meant to be played on an 8, but the rest of the song sounded great :rolleyes:

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    To them that asked..........

[​IMG]

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA