Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Thurisarz


    Aug 20, 2004
    Did a search on the forum but didn't find anything about it so i ask now...

    What are the strings callled on a 8-stringed? Does any brand make sets for them? Gauges? Famous 8-string players? Albums/videos to check out?

    Thanks! :bassist:
  2. Do you mean single course or octave paired 8 stringers?
  3. Thurisarz


    Aug 20, 2004
    there's many types of 8-stringed!?
  4. Yeah, do you have a picture of what you're referring to?

    Does it look like this:

  5. Thurisarz


    Aug 20, 2004
    Thinking about a Warmoth but having trouble deciding which body
  6. OK, you must be talking about octave paired than.
  7. Thurisarz


    Aug 20, 2004
    E-E-A-A-D-D-G-G tuning or what? Gauge?
  8. slugworth

    slugworth Banned

    Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Doug Pinnick of King's X come quickly to mind..Yes, there
    are several companies that make these sets. Rotosound,
    D'Addario, and SIT to name a few...

  9. _Unregistered_


    Nov 3, 2004
    Actually, dUg plays a 12-ver (bass and two upper octaves each). He tunes it D-G-C-F (down a full tone) to lower the tension a tad. He's back to playing a 4-string most of the time with Kings X anymore though, but some of their best stuff was cut with him playing the 12-ver (IMHO).

    I have a cheap Korean Galveston 12-ver, and I LOVE IT.

    You need strong hands, and careful technique, but it sounds positively WONDERFUL...especially through a tube amp.

    You can get strings from Hamer (D'Addarios) or SIT.

    More info on 12stringbass.net if you wanna know more about these unique instruments...