Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8-Stringers: Dean vs. ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon an ESP LTD B-208 8-string bass at one of my local music stores. I picked it up and give it a quick try, and I must say that I was quite impressed.

I've been the proud owner of a Dean Rhapsody 8-string now for almost two-and-a-half years and I still love it. But, this ESP just seemed to come out of the blue. I was very surprised to see this thing.

Upon researching it a bit, I see that it is no longer being manufactured (just like the Rhap). It has many of the same features as the Dean as well: made in Korea; mahogany body; 5-piece bolt-on neck; EMG's with 3-band EQ. But, despite these similarities, the feel of the ESP is quite different. And, I must say that I rather like it quite a bit.

Does anyone out there have any experience with one of these ESP LTD's? I'd be curious to hear a review.

Thanks.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've looked at some recent made in Korea ESPs and I've noticed many indicators that they are actually made in the same Cort factory right alongside Deans, DeArmonds, and others. If you've been happy with your Dean, but the ESP has features and style that you like better, go for it!