Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winemule, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Anybody have any experience with Schecter or Rogue or any other 8-string basses? I'm getting into a power trio thing, and I'm wondering whether this is a good way to go. The only 8-string player I've ever been aware of was Nick Lowe.

2. Use the "search" function, you'll find loads of info. As for 8-stringers, Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam and Allen Woody of Gov't Mule spring to mind.

3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've got an early 80's Hamer B Series 8 string and a Hamer US Chapparell 12 string. I have found them most useful in bands with only one guitarist. It can really help fill out the sound when you've only got one guitarist.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

... That's funny, i thought that Jeff played a 12 string (jeremy) and Allen Woody's "multi-course-bass-of-choice" was an 18 string (6x3) bass... a tad bit more than 8.

While we are on the subject of 8's, here's a pic of my 10 string:
    [​IMG]
    :smug:
    Oh BTW, it is great for power trios, especially with a little overdrive, it sounds like an army!

5. I've used mine tuned to fifths, add a little fuzz, and who the hell needs a guitarist?

:smug:

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Jeff used a Hamer 8 and 12 on Pearl Jam's first album and tour. Alan Woody had many many multi stringed basses (8, 12, 18 etc). Also check out Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick who the 12 string bass was developed for and Doug Pinnick of King's X. I have a Pedulla 8 string that was great when I was in a power trio. Now that I am in a band with a keyboard player I don't use it as much. 8's and 12's really fill up alot of sonic space.

7. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Mr. Manring has a 10 string. Of course he tunes it in all kinds of different intervals!

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have had a couple. Actually 3. 2-Washburn B-208. Excellent playing basses, but very dated to the 1980's style and look. I also had a Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash) 8-string. Very nice. The couple of Dean 8's I have played felt chunky and the neck, for me, was uncomfortable. Back in the mid '80's we played alot of Cheap Trick style stuff and the 8-string worked out perfectly!

9. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Eight strings tuned in fifths instead of octaves...now that is an interesting idea. Yikes!

10. yup, it seriously rocks. power chords. :D

11. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I used to do that but I would tune the E and A to octave and the D and G to fifths. I stole that idea from Chris Squire. This allows you to still have a thunderous bass sound and a power chord guitar sound from one instrument.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I might need to look into this concept.... Maybe something like:

bB eE aA aD dG....

:bassist:

13. Give Jauqo III-X a holler if you have any questions about these kinds of instruments. He has PLENTY of experience regarding 8 string (doubled) and 8 string (singled), etc.

;)

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    now that would completely ROCK!!! :cool:

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  16. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    Just getting into 8 strings myself...got a dean rhapsody on order ...from doing some shopping and research it seems like they give you the most for the money...I'll let you know..when it comes in.