1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8 x 10 cab or 4x10 w/ 1x15 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonnySavag, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I play a Conklin GT 7 and want to go higher like yo a 10 string one day. My band tunes in drop A so i do play some really deep tones. Our style is like post hardcore mixed with metalcore and progressive. Im wondering everyone's opinion on what would sound better with my rig. Build 1x15 w/4x10 on top of it or just buying a 8x10? Will it really produce the same lows that im looking for? Is it that big of a difference? I love to rattle the floor and walls with my bass. haha

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Frankly, neither. I'd think that either a pair of 212s or a pair of 410s would be preferable, in the abstract. Many players regard the 410-on-115 configuration to be particularly questionable, due to the high risk of blowing the 15.

GregC and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    810 always wins.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    810 of course!

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I have always felt 810's were generally more "massive/thicker" sounding sounding than doing two separate cabs. If you are doing a lot of detail work and need the clarity, I suggest two of your favorite bass cabinets over any 810. However, I do think you should try out as much gear as you can. There is nothing like playing through an 810.

6. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    How low any rig will go has nothing to do with the size of the speakers. That's why a 1x15/4x10 is a flawed arrangement, because a 410 is as likely as not to go just as low as a 115, and it will handle more power too. If you want to go lower than the average 410 or 810 then you need to have a cab designed to go lower, loaded with speakers designed to go lower. That means either a boutique cab like a Barefaced or Baer or a DIY cab like a fearful or a BFM.

7. A 1x15 doesn't produce more lows than a 4x10. One of the cabs with the most lows around is the Ampeg SVT-410HLF. Of course, this comes at a price... it isn't nearly as present in the mids as many of Ampeg's other cabs. I have played one back to back with my Sunn 2x15. The 4x10 had more low end, but the 2x15 had much more midrange.

I have heard players who tune down to A or even F# use 810s and sound massive, in some very heavy bands. At those tunings, it's less about the fundamental than about the harmonics, because the fact is, if you're ever in the PA, any soundperson is going to high-pass you above your fundamentals anyway, to make room for the kick drum. I would advise against getting in a frequency turf war with the kick drum. You will lose.

The 4x10/1x15 arrangement is particularly bad, because say your amp puts out 400 watts. 200 watts are going to the 4x10, and 200 to the 1x15. Within the 4x10, each 10" driver is getting 50 watts (because that's 200 divided by 4). Meanwhile, that single 15" speaker is getting 200 watts. The problem here is that the 15" probably can't handle four times as much power as each of the 10"s. So it's much more in danger of getting damaged. Additionally, it's not putting out as much volume, either, most likely, because the 4x10 will likely be capable of pushing way more air than that poor single 15, perhaps even close to twice as much.

The 810 will be louder and less prone to problems.

Old Garage-Bander and Bassdirty like this.
  8. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Simple, you definitely need to look at Greenboy Audio Fearless cabs.. they were designed for this..
    You're welcome :thumbsup:

Snowglo, GregC, Sartori and 2 others like this.