8 x 10s: Ampeg SVT-810E or Fender Bassman 810???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brotha Chris, Jan 15, 2005.

1. pretty self explanitory. i'll be stressing over amp-heads here in awhile as well... but thought i'd nip this issue first.
  2. my fellow p & w bassist... thank you for the suggestion.

i'm still looking for feedback though... i lean towards the fender... but then the ampeg. i trust Eminence speakers (a good friends father is the CEO... :D) and those are stocked up into the fender. although... i know more people with the ampeg.

i was at a house show in august and saw a band of teenagers. their bassist... though not that great... played out of 2 GK 4 x 10s. i was blown away! thanks for the feedback bro.
  3. Whats up bro. I endorse GK, so I had to throw it out there.

Out of the two you inquired about, I would not get the Ampeg 8x10. IMO thats an overused and overrated cab.
  4. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Over rated how? No offense but coming from a dealer, I wouldn't weigh your opinion too highly.

Now maybe tell us why you think the Ampeg is over-rated, I'm not an Ampeg player but have always been pleased when I had to play through one. And as far as overused goes, what does that tell you about the cab???
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Exactly. I think it's perfect for my uses and wouldn't play anything else right now.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    +1. I know some people swear by it, but I just never dug it. Never had enough clarity, and seemed to fart unless you had a LOT of power going into it. YMMV, of course.
  7. any feedback on the fender? good? bad?
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Before you buy the Fender, try a Mesa 4x10, your back will thank you. The sound isn't bad either.
  9. My Fender bassman 400 combo sucks, and based on that I wouldnt buy another Fender amp. I never abused that thing and now a speaker is blown and it clips like crazy with the master set well above the gain. It just didn't last. I second the Mesa, I tried some mesa cabs yesterday and those things were awesome.

10. No need to be defensive. Heres what I know. For the amount of players that play Ampeg I was expecting to love the Ampeg 8X10 when I got my hands on one (my pre GK days). I played it for 10 shows and though it sounded muddy and undefined. There are TONS of cabs that for the same amount of cash just sound better. Bottom line.

Second, Im not a dealer. Im an endorsee. Completely different. I endorse GK because it sounds that good. I dont make money off of it.

And last, there are too many people that play Ampeg, because it has an Ampeg logo on it. They dont care about anything but what cool. Are there people that sound good with Ampeg. YES. Vic Wooten, etc. Do I still think the Ampeg 8x10 is overrated. YES.
  11. well there´s the ashdown 810 and the marshall 810 too...
    but back too the ampeg/fender. the fender is ported and has a horn so in my opinion a very different cab. sounded clearer than the ampeg but that was in a store so i don´t know. on the other hand it´s fun to have something that not "everyone" has had through the history of bass...
  12. I just got an Ampeg 8x10.. And I'm very happy with it. like ebmuscmanlvr83 said, its not the clearest sounding cab. But it has the "Ampeg" sound which I wanted. I don't think other cabs can have the Ampeg sound. And I think the Ampeg cab sounds better with an aggressive tone. If you want something thats clean and clear. I suggest you look elsewhere.
  13. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    LOL, it's cool, I was just trying to get an answer like the one your just provided. You are right, the Ampeg is not a very clear cab, which explains it's popularity in rock music and the fact that it's shunned by most jazz bassists.
  14. okay... so i guess i'm like reasonbass. i want sort of a grittier sound. but i've heard pros and cons on the ampeg... what about the fender?

pros and cons on the fender... is all i need.

thans again.