1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$80 bass w/ original HSC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Bought a Hondo Professional bass dating back to the early 80's.

I did watch a couple YouTube videos before I bought it. It comes from an era where Asian guitar manufacturers were upping the quality of their products. Country of origin is either Japan or Korea.

This one supposedly has DiMarzio pups, a 3-ply solid maple neck and what I believe is a maple body. I removed the neck from the body an saw it was a solid body. From the hardness, color and weight of the wood and guitar (10.25 lbs.), I'm going with a solid maple body. The tone is great. I love maple necks and the tone is nice and bright. Great sustain and a nice feel to the neck. Frets are very lightly worn. A bit of dive but that doe not really bother me all that much. Reminds me of my Gibson G3.

My only negative is the saddle height on the A & D strings. The saddle height does not follow the neck contour and, as a result, the A & D are a little bit higher than I would like. I have decided not to mess with them because I don't want to fix what ain't broke and potentially cause a buzz problem.

I did raise the pole pieces under the A & D to compensate and I am happy with the results.

The previous, original owner played it in church so it is in great shape for its age!

Attached Files:

fretter, Warhawk, Bass V and 2 others like this.
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's a beauty. You really shouldn't create any problems if you lower the offending saddles a bit. Just drop them until they either buzz or fret out, then raise them a little till they don't.

Warhawk and LowNloud1 like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what a deal!
    I'm into the good Hondos and sadly had to miss out on a black / ebony fretless P recently for far more $$.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  4. Yeah great deal for 80 bucks especially with a case. If it was originally purchased in the early 80's I'd guess it could be Japanese but more likely to be Korean. As long as the neck is straight and the electronics all working that's a very nice bass.
    Just curious, "stone picks"?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    LowNloud1 likes this.
  5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice.
    It'd be good to get some better pics of the bass, especially the body. However, the knobs (ridged edges?), body shape, bridge and dimarzio style pickups are spot-on for the stuff coming out of the Matsumoku factory in that era. It's a beginner model, but even they were well done.

Here's a Matsumoku Vantage I had.
    SOLD - FS: 1980 Vantage VS600B MIJ (Matsumoku Factory)
    dscf0272-.
    Look Famililar? It's not a neck thru, just looks like it.

LowNloud1 and Warhawk like this.
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If it's the same bridge mine had you can't adjust the height of the saddles individually, they only adjust laterally for intonation and you can tilt the entire bridge with the mounting screws/bolts.

That said, a competent tech can file down the slots a bit and get them nicely matching the radius and it shouldn't cost much.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  7. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    That does look familiar! That's funny that it isn't a neck-thru! The controls on mine are ridged and it is a 3-point bridge like your Vantage. Your info confirms country of origin for me. Thanks! A friend of mine thought it was Korean.

8. Any bass that functions AND has a HSC is a steal at 80 bux!
    Pups do look like DeMarzios.