Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$80 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 27, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    anyone know of any decent basses I could get for $80 cash? I'm think ing about buying back my 1st bass for 25 (with 15 watt amp) twas a squire. or should I put this money in a savings pot and wait until after my bands gig on the 15 since we're getting a piece of the door?it still needs promoting. (maybe a big block p, or regular p, waiting for a special occasion for a bongo)

p.s., or should I find a decent bass wah?

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

SX basses start at $100 at rondomusic.net and are highly regarded here. See the "Essex megathread" for more reviews than you'll ever need.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd buy back your first bass, hang it on the wall for its memories and throw the rest into a pot for some better gear. That's what I always did and I got some very nice gear that way.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
  5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Get a Krappy Punk Rod! Seriously, I dunno, I love my first bass and will never sell it but then again I hate squiers.

6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Save your money, buy a decent instrument, and have it setup well. It is well worth a few hundred dollars if you have any interest in taking bass seriously.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a Squier, which was my first bass. The only upgrades I have done are a completely new electronics package from EMG, and a different pickguard. Set it up, and it's one of my main basses, right along with my American Deluxe Fender, and my Conklin. Buy that one back, and pop in some new electronics, and maybe some better tuners if it has the small post type. That will be a good workhorse bass if you do it right.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you don't have a bass and you need a bass for the gig then buy back the squire. You won't have a chance to buy a bass for 25 bucks again, and you won't find a bass better than your squire for 80 bucks. Put the rest of the cash in the pot and save. If you have a bass already, don't bother buying back the squire.

I don't want to be a downer, but don't expect enough cash from your first gig to buy a bass. Oh yeah, check out sx basses, they rock! and they are cheap! A bit of gig cash plus your 80 bucks (if you already have a bass) could buy you an SX, and it would kick the pants off your squire.

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I got one. Brand new in the box. Still has plastic on the pups and the pickguard. Fender P-Bass copy. Red with Maple neck and board. $80 and I will through in a cord for you too!