Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

80 bucks for a broken Sunn Sonaro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Sep 27, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I put a local ad out not long ago that I was looking for some tube Sunn gear. A guy replied to me with good quality pics and tube specs. The amp looks to be in good shape, but somehow he ended up in Europe.

This situation seems a bit off to me, esp. since it is a huge case of "buyer beware".

I know the risks and I asked him if he would be around any time soon.

But what I really want to know is a broken Sunn Sonaro worth 80 bucks? It seems like a "yes" but then again I have no idea if ahuge chunk of this amp is missing or if its just something that can be fixed at a tech.

What do you guys think?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to own one, yes it would be worth $80 if it was EASILY repairable. Both the power and output transformers must be OK. Those would be the toughest parts to replace, everything else is pretty generic.

So get specifics on what's wrong and some pictures.

Keep in mind it's not a very loud amp, 50-60 watts...that's why I sold mine it was only useful or small club gigs.

3. There's one on Ebay right now that's advertised as not working but fixable.... It blows fuses when powered up, though they claim the power transformer is OK.

Could this be the same amp? The pictures show everything is there.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Stay away from that auction :p. I'm trying to win it

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I disagree. With efficient cabinets, they're easily loud enough for gigs.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    my 80 Watt Sorado kept up with a 5150 at a medium sized gig, of course I was almost maxed out but I sould still keep up with my 2x15 to his 4x12

7. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I just spotted it right before I came back to the forums. I should have taken it for 80 bucks. 200 still isn't bad and I've got a birthday coming up. Stay away boys. It's mine! He offered it to me first! :spit:

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You misunderstood what I wrote. I did plenty of club gigs with mine. I just said it's not a very loud amp...even with efficient speakers 50 watts only goes so far. As long as you're not expecting it to be an SVT, it's a nice bass amp.