Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'80 P-Bass Special $$$...???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIZ, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Hey all, I need a little help here....I have a neighbor who is moving at the end of Oct and has offered to sell me his '80 P-Bass Special....in case yr not familiar w. it here's a quik primer...

P-bass w. Jazz neck, p-bass p/ups only but has the active /passive switch next to the cable input jack.

It's a dark mahogany? color....in pretty darn good shape as far as exterior condition(no scratches, dings, repairs etc). It also has a Seymor Duncan replacement p/up. Kind of dark sounding in passive mode, a little brighter in active. All gold hardware - no pits in the gold either.

He sez he paid $1000.00 from Guitar Center back in '80..... :eek: and that's how much he'd like (yeah....right...) But there's no way I'll buy it for that much.....

Anyone have any idea how much it's realistic fair market value is today? I know it's hard to say sight unseen.....

fyi.....I know about the basic Fender Jazz & Precision's pretty good....just sold my '77 Jazz (I was orig owner..) for 1200.00

But as far as the Boutique Fenders....It gets a little hazy for me.

I'll try to take a pic tonight & post.

thank ...any input is appreciated !!!

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Going by your description, it's a Walnut Precision Special. Does it weigh a lot, by any chance? (Rhetorical question there!!) And it's got a black pickguard?

I don't think his pricing is too far off, actually. These are pretty rare on the ground, and are becoming a bit collectable - I think largely based upon the fact that they're such a nice looking instrument. Shame about the changed pickup - although I'm sure it probably sounds better, it does hurt the value a bit.

If you could knock him down a hundred or two (or even three!), it'd be a good deal.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one, Mine was made in 82 and is not that heavy at all. it has more of a solid feel to it and is all original. Here is a pic.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I forgot to add, the walnut version is the more colectable af all precision special basses. I have heard somewhere there where only 200 made in 82. Does that bass have a thumb/finger rest? I actually got my bass for a lot less because the salesman was my boy and the bass had not been played in 12 years (stored in a closet and full of mojo and grime). I used gibson polish and it all came right off allowing the true bass under shine. My bass does have it's share of scuffs, scatches and dings (nothing major) and has that mild closet classic look to it. Every where I play it other bass players want to play it. mine is definately a player!

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Walnut specials are worth every bit of $900 in just average condition. Total number produced is less than 300 and they sound great.

I can't figure out why anyone would change the P/U in one but you could beat him up over that pricewise.

You couldn't get mine away from me for twice that much.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

That's nice. Cool that it's light too. I wouldn't mind picking one up myself some time, but I'd want something not too heavy.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If I can explain the difference it's like holding a MIM bass in one hand and a MIA in the other, letting them both dangle off the floor while seeing which one is heavier. While doing that you also notice the MIA just feels more solid than the MIM. When you play the MIA verses the MIM you will notice the MIA resonates better (p-bass special doe's this). It may be slightly heavier (not by much) but It's not really noticable.

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Sounds good. I think the heavy weights were typical of that era, but there were exceptions, your's obviously being one of them.

On the other hand .... a mate of mine here has recently sold a bog standard Precision from 1980 that tipped the scales around 13lb!!

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    FWIW, Mine is heavy as hell. It's a slab of walnut.

10. Thanks guys for all the input, I'll see how low he will go.....
    He's movin' and kinda strapped for $$$$..... ball could be in my court.... :D