1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

80-year-old playing basketball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jun 2, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Yesterday I went to a birthday party for a friend who turned 80-years-old. I met a lot of his friends who play basketball with him. Many of them are over 70. They assured me that I wouldn't see any hard drives towards the hoop.
    Still it is encouraging that people this age are still living active lives. A lot of his friends also enjoy ballroom dancing.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When I was in law school, I worked at the school gym. There was a retired custodian in his 70s who ran, shadow-boxed, and lifted weights every day with the students. Often he outlasted them. My father taught skiing with me until he had a stroke at the same age.

Nothing wrong with that.

3. A bunch of years ago, I worked with a guy who was in his last year before retiring - he was probably 65-70 years hold. He and his friends found some pills at a local Chinese health food store (Cow's Head Tung-Shueh pills) that they started taking. Miracle pills - they all started playing basketball again - for hours. About 6 months later, the FDA steps in and confiscates them from the stores - the pills were full of Valium.

Here's a link to some news about them - http://www.thecamreport.com/2008/11/tung-shueh-pills-not-legal-in-us/

4. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    There's an 80-something in my crew who can't get in & out of a boat. Playing basketball is pretty impressive. Especially if any of them are white.

5. slobake

I also knew a guy in his late 70's who worked every day washing the outside of high rise buildings. He was one of those guys up 15-20 stories on a scaffold washing windows and the outside of the buildings. The guy had a grip like a lobster, shaking hands with him could be painful.

6. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

That reminds me. About 20 years ago I went to help my grandfather cut down some trees around his place. When we got there he had already dropped a bunch of them, so he'd been at it for an hour or two. He hands me this relic of a saw, which in less than 10 mins of using it vibrated my hands so bad I couldn't make a fist & had to stop. He grabbed the saw & continued. He was in his mid-60s, I was 21.

edpal likes this.
  7. Back in the 90's , I went sailing in the Carribean with some family members on a 42' boat. My folks and my grandfather (who taught me to sail when I was about 13) were on the boat. We were about 30 miles from land when a storm blew up. The first one up on deck to pull in the lines and sails was my 84 year old grandfather. My Mom said something about "he could get hurt out there in that stuff" and started out on deck to bring him in. I grabbed her and stopped her. "Do you see the smile on that mans face?" I asked her. She looked at him and sat back down. That man was in absolute heaven doing what he had taught every person on that boat to do and even at 84 , he probably did it better than any of us could.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Sharkbait.

Hoo Ha Ha.

9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I went skiing in Montana last winter and ended up skiing with some folks who were in their 60s. I hadn't skied much in the past number of years but still, these people were leaving me in the dust with no trouble at all! It was great to see. :)

10. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Summoned to Mt Wannahockaloogie.

Tituscrow likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As I hit 49, 50, 60 and 70 don't seem so old any more.

12. slobake

60 is the new 59

Immigrant and buldog5151bass like this.
  13. old_people-0012.

slobake likes this.
  14. In FL, my folks mentioned that they were "behind" the old guys. My parents are 59 and 70, respectively.

The body works best when festering is conquered with physical activity.

15. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    My 80 year old Uncle visited from Germany last year - his "hot"(ok, I'm guessing when she was hot when younger) 76 yr. old g/f still teaches skiing. He was kinda slobby when they met, she has whipped the man into fighting trim.

AMEN!!

16. Ugh I don't want to think about being old. I learned from listening to a lot of music from "last days of humanity" and taking care of multiple "grands" in my family that my days of laziness in my 20s I will stop at all costs.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I turned 71 a little over a week ago. I still play. I lug my bass rig and sound system around. I work a full time job. I am very active and most people don't realize my age. The only thing I don't like about being old is the attitude of younger people toward older people. I have actually been told in an audition, "Aren't you a little old to be playing Rock and Roll?". My answer was, "Wow, excuse me, I have to go tell Mic and Paul to knock if off. They are too old and maybe don't know they should go to the home."

slobake and edpal like this.
  18. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Typical grumpy old F***! Seriously, very cool - go man go!! You of all people don't get to forget where this all ends.:bag:

19. Yea, kids these days are plenty cruel. But as they say, it's not how it looks. Speaking of age, I had an uncle that looked like he was in his 50s....when he was 80!

20. In death metal? Lol