1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$800 for a used Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacob_edwards91, Aug 12, 2007.

1. There is a used Musicman Sterling at a local music store. It's being sold for $800. I played it, and it was one of the best basses that I've ever played. I've been looking for a step up from my Squier P-bass; this seems like a good option.

2. Dpduder

Dpduder

Mar 27, 2007
    Gorham, ME
    thats a great price. usually used they go for 50-100 more here on TB. great bass too.. been gassing for a sterling for a long time now. if you got the money get it! you wont be disappointed!

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If you can afford the 800 then you should definitely get one

4. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    800 sounds good to me assuming its in good shape. i recently bought one used for 900... so i think youre getting a pretty good deal

5. Sounds like a bargain. If it's in good shape, snatch it up before someone else does.

6. My Sterling is my favorite bass.. and you can see what kind of competition it has.

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Sounds like a good deal to me. As long as you plan on sticking to a 4-string, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be happy for a long time

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    A very fair price/a great bass = buy it! :)

9. Not bad I just paid 850 for my Stingray with the case and straplocks so yeah 800 is a good deal for a Sterling.

10. I'm going to try and buy it; the only problem is that my main instrument is trombone, and I'm buying myself a new (to me) trombone, which will probably cost as much as the sterling. That might not seem like a lot of money to some of you, but it is to a high school student that only works 20 hours a week.

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Of course it's a very good price.

I think you've already made your desicion ;)

12. I saw a blue dawn Sterling 4 string the other day for $700. Trying to figure what I can sell that isnt nailed down.
    Anybody want a GK 4x12/2x10 that used to belong to the band Sleep?

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Great price, great bass. DO IT.
    Whoa, that rocks.

14. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    It belonged to Sleep? Must be covered with 2" of resin.:p

15. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    LOL, try supporting four kids! I'm trying to figure out how to scrape together ~$600 for my next bass purchase.

16. Actually, though it is a bass cab, it was used by Justin, the other guitarist besides Steve Choi and Matt Pike. He is also probably the only non stoner of that band. Was even an Eastern Orthodox monk for a while!
    But yeah if anyone is a huge Sleep/Asbestos Death fan, this cab was used in both bands.
    $600?