Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

800 Hz and solid state amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fttfbass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. I've noticed between my former Sansamp RBI and my new Kustom Groovebass 1200 that when I try and boost 800 Hz, I get a really synthetic kind of sound. It's hard to explain the sound, but it just sounds weird. Is this typical of solid state amps. These are my first solid state amps that I've owned, and I'm not digging the tone with 800 Hz boosted even a little bit. It's kind of a key frequency range to boost when playing with a band. The sound isn't noticable when the whole band is playing, but when it comes to solo time I can't stand it. Do I just need to ditch the solid state and get some tubes?

2. well, you could just not boost 800hz :rolleyes:

3. Yeah but like I said it's a key frequency to get volume and punch.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i think its just you luke :smug:

Ampeg SVT-VR, thats the one ya want bud!

but that weird tone may be in your cabs, not your amps.

5. Nope definately not the cab. I have a Bergantino NV610. Did the same thing with my Tech 21 stack, too. I thought it was the Tech 21 stuff, but now it obviously isn't. It's not the bass either because I've used about 4 different basses through these setups. It's a sound I never noticed with anything with tubes in before. I guess I need something with tubes again.

6. It's nice to see you in one of my threads Robb......lol.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had a bit of that problem when trying to boost the mids on my jazz bass, which I estimate if very near there. Part of the problem was that the pickup height was not set up properly. With the pickups too low, it was like the thing was honking at me, rather than growling at me. I never used to be able to use one pickup or the other, but both at the same time. Otherwise, there just wasn't enough meat there to work with.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i never used that cab, but its the only thing that has remained consistant throughout your recent gear changes. you got that cab AFTER you got the sansamp and have never used it with anything other than the sansamp and groovebass amps, right? i think you need to try that cab with another amp and see how it sounds- but try the other amp before you buy it

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    WORD!

10. I got the same sound with the Warwick Corvette, RBI, and Tech 21 stack. And also the same sound with the Shecter Stilleto, Groovebass, and Tech 21 stack. And then also the same sound with the Fender GL Jazz, Groovebass, and Bergantino cab. The only thing that has remained consistant is the solid state preamps.

11. I always boost 1.6 kHz. I guess I'll just have to keep the 800Hz slider down to where the tone is useable. I might get a tube preamp anyway. I still have my QSC PLX1602 to use with one. Then I'll just sell the Kustom.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    well then, i cant help you :crying:

try guitar or drums. just kidding. i'm sure you will work it out

13. That would be the sound that I hear. I've just never had an amp with a graphic EQ, so I've never messed around with boosting 800Hz before. But I see many posts on this forum that talk about boosting that frequency for more midrange volume. My tone is pretty killer without the frequency boosted anyway.

14. Thanks a lot Robb. I guess I'll pick up the banjo. I think I was told that one time in the ampeg forum because I boost my midrange.

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    D@MN THAT SPEKKYYY HAHAHAHAHA! sorry, i've had a 100+ fever for 3 days, i am halucinating! go to bed man, the roosters & unruly Amish folk out there will wake you up early tomorrow.

16. haha........just because I live in Lancaster County, PA doesn't mean I live on a farm. You can send that '74 SVT my way, that will solve my problem for sure.

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What's the 'high-mids' on a GK 700RBII? I always crank that one all the way; it's part of my sound. Everything else is pretty flat - lows and low-mids are flat, highs maybe slightly cut (..but I boost the highs on my compressor, and run an exciter), presence is boosted some, conture off, 'string bass button' (low-boost) off...

T.I. Jazz Flats, though - I know that makes a big difference.

I've several-times tried just taking a fresh listen, starting with all the knobs flat, and 'starting from scratch' - I always go back to cranked high-mids.

So, wherever that is...

Joe