$8000 plywood bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jallenbass, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    $8K is way too much but it's impressive that theres not a scratch on that thing.
  3. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Just the right price for a Gibson Collector-Completist.
  4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Nothing wrong with plys, but Gibson's are not exactly the top of the line basses.

But, I am afraid I will soon have about 6k into a ply that I can't sell for 4k. :(
  5. Given the condition and the rarity, if it sounded like mud it would still probably be a good investment. Not for me, but if I were into the plywood sound and could buy anything I wanted, that one sure looks sweet. It's probably much better construction than a Kay, too. The wood finish reminds me of their electric-spanish archtop guitar line. A very pretty and unusal look for a bass these days. I think it could go for more than $10K.
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow, someone really knows how to take care of a bass! Not a scratch. Original strings? Those things are 66 years old. But it's cool that they managed to keep it all original and in that condition. 8k is quite a bit though.
  7. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I've seen and played a few of these Gibsons. They are rather thinly made and light in weight, and sound-wise they reflect that as they have a kind of bright, not-very-resonant tone. They are rare, which is about as much as you can say about them and the last price I saw on one was about 3k.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ended with no bidders. Imagine that. Not to say there isn't someone out that has to have that bass and has $8K lying around. But, I doubt that guy is looking for it on ebay.
  9. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    And looking for it on ebay withing those seven days he has it listed. :smug: