Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

8004 vs SM500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babaseen, Jul 15, 2002.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Need your help...I'm looking for the SWR sound and I'm trying to decide whether the new Workingman's 8004 T/O/P or the SM500 would be a better choice. I've tried both but it's a tough decision. Type of music I play is straight ahead rock to jam band/acid jazz. The cabinents I plan on using are Eden 2x10 and SWR Big Ben 1x18.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Definitely the 500.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Have you guys actually played the 8004? Just wondering. I like the 4004 better than the SM500... I must be weird. I guess my vote goes to the 8004.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    500, without hesitation.

5. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    thanks all for your replies!!!

ndjx, what specifically do you like about the 4004 or should I say the Workingman's series versus the SWR pro Series? The reason I was slightly favoring the 8004 was it seemed easier to use with more power...I'm more of a plug and play type rather than a knob diddler

As an aside...the 8004 with 8/10 cab reminds me of the old Acoustic 360 w/folded horn 18 that Jaco decided to buy before anyone knew who he was and before the birth of his daughter...sort of the same situation I'm in right now...but that's just the romantic in me. Please no need to comment on this last section.