Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

800rb......300+100 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Jan 26, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The question i have for you is when you are run both to 300 and the 100 watt amp on full range.........is the sound coming from the 100 watt amp the same as from the 300 watt amp......or is it a higher ferquance....or is that only when it is in biamp mode?..Hope you can help me.thankx:ninja:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    When in full range the sound from each should be the same. At least that's what I recall from the last time I used one live. (it was part of the supplied backline) I liked it much better full range than bi amped.

If you can download the manual from GK you should be able to check that.

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    so from what you are telling me is that when it is on fullrange....it is running 400watts.......of the same sound...is that right?......exsept 300 of it is 4 ohms and 100 of it is 8ohm's...............So i could run a 4ohm 410 cab and a 8 ohm 210 cab....and get a good balanced sound when on fullrange

4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Good question. 800RB is what I use and I don't really know the answer, but I do agree that I like the sound full range better than bi-amping.

I use two EA cabs with EV 15's for the low and an Eden 210(T?) for upper. I like one EA and the Eden running full range better. Haven't tried full range with all three. I'll check it out.

5. Right..Just leave the biamp switch in the out position and you can control each cab with the "High Master" & "Low Master" controls. Make sure you keep impedance @ 8ohms on the high side as I've heard (G-K says) lower imp. can damage the amp.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Right-that's exactly how I set it last time I used the 800. It lost something when I tried to run it biamped, no matter where I set the crossover. Full range is best-4 ohms bottom, 8 ohms top.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    so does the 100 watt amp work even if the amp is in fullrange....cause i heard the if you are running fullrange that the 100 watt amp sits idle.......Hope you can help

8. Mine does!!

9. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Can any one tell me :confused: why GK gives an amp a name like 800RB and it puts out much less watts than 800,..... or the amp I'm more familiar with,the GK 1000RB,which has 700 watts output at 4ohms(less at 8ohms) + 50 watts as I understand designated for biamping to a tweeter or other high frequency speaker...seems a little confusing:ninja: or even...misleading???:)

10. I would guess it's just a model number like a Ford Mustang is a car,not a horse. There's no rule that says model names must equal output in watts, although the 800RB is as powerful as many other 1000+ watts amplifiers.
    It is a proven pro workhorse with great tone and lots of clean power.

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    yeah i have read there manuals lot's but the one for the 800rb does not say really anything about it.I was looking at getting a 700rb II head and a 210 and a 410 cab...the only thing i did not like was that the 210's would be getting more power then my 410s.......But from what i have been told about the 800rb head is that i can have both and my 410's will get the power they need and i can use a 4 ohm and 8 ohm operation....and with it at full range it will have the same sound!!!!...and if i want to biamp my sound i can do that too!!!!!....It really sound to good to be true....but i guess it is!!!

12. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I used one for years and agree, both amps running full range sounds best. I'd run a 2x15 for myself and plug a 2x10 in to the 100watt amp and point it at our drummer. He liked that!

dunc

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    LOL...right on that's i really great to hear.My dad use to have a 800rb head with a goliath sr. cab.....sorry to say he was going through a bad state of deprestion and he sold it......and down sized it BIG time...But past is past and i still love him despite of it...I my self have a 700rb210 combo with a 210 ext cab...which i love.........but i still think the 800rb had a better sound even though it has less watts,But Boy she kick's.So that's what i am looking at getting a 800rb head and trading off my combo for it,and then getting a 4ohm GK 410rbh cab.to go with my 210's.

14. I haven't used the 700RB II but the newer series amps (700,1001,etc.) are designed to be biamped with true high frequency horns or tweeters, hence the 50w output. There is very little usable upper end information in a bass guitar so a lot of power isn't needed.
    Remember, the 800 was introduced before most bass cabs had tweeters. I personally turn my tweeter almost off, just keep enough to accent the "snap" of my bass.

15. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    So just a nother quick question..How does the 800rb sound with a 5 string bass...cause my 700rb has a 5 string botton..........which i love...anythought's on it?

16. Can't help you there...don't own one. I'm old school and have rarely needed a lower string. All I can tell you is the 800RB has never seemed to sacrifice any low end at all. I would be surprised if it didn't work well with a low "B". Trust us, you'll like it.

17. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i always thought it put out 300w through the lower outputs and when you hit the bi-amp it gives you 100w out of the upper outputs. Thats when you can use the hi-master and lo-master and change the crossover freq.

if you leave the biamp button out, you only have 300w out of the lower outputs with the Lo-Master controls. correct?

...but i might be wrong again.

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Well I asked gk and they said that the 100 watt amp work's even when it is on fullrange.........but insed of a HI low bi-amp sound it will have the same sound as the 300 watt amp

19. I play 5 string & my 800RB sounds great w/it. Just make sure the bass you're using has good pickups & electronics (passive or active). The tonal transparency of the head really brings out the sound of your bass, so if you're using a cheaper bass with not so good electronics, that's the sound you're going to get.