Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

800rb as pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srbguitar, Sep 3, 2002.

1. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    I'm thinking of adding more power to my rig but don't want to spend to much money.

so question 1, is it safe to conect the speaker outputs on the 800rb to a power amp.

2, if I do do this will i get the power from the gk plus the power from the power amp all to the speakers.

3, if what i think is correct what power amp do you suggest.

thanks in advance.

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    1) It's very, very NOT safe to do this
    2) If you do this I guess you will break the poweramp and have no power ... I guess, or kill the cabs (don't know what happens actually, but I'm not going to try it)
    3) Your not correct but carvin amps look like "good value for the money" amps

You should use the "preamp out" or 'line out" or something similar (don't know the GK)

If you let us know what cabs you have and give us their wattage, ohm rating, and your budget, we can give you better advise

greetz,
    awesome

3. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    ok. i have a 2x15 cab 600w power handling 1200w peak and soon to be avatar 410.
    what if i connect the power amp throught the effects loop, since the effects loop has no power going throgh it. would this option work. and thanks for the answer.

4. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    and the cab has a 4 ohm rating and my budget is under $450.

5. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    The effects loop will do.

The carvin 1000 and 1500w amps are in your price range.

You might consider selling the head and get a preamp, going thru the fx out isn't the ideal solution.

Altough if you keep the amp, it's also possible to hook up the 600w cab to your head and the 1200w avantar to the poweramp (but then your 15's get 300w and your 10's get 1-1.5 Kw ... and also, 1800w might be a bit overkill)

It's your choice.