1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

800RB biamp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JcHc, Nov 20, 2006.

1. JcHc

JcHc

Jun 3, 2006
    Chico, CA
    Hey, how exactly does the bi amp feature work with the Gallien krueger 800RB? does the high channel only handle the highs? what if i used the high channel as my regular channel with a 115 cab? Im just not sure it works exactly. any tips?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the amp is set up to biamp (biamp switch pushed in), the high frequencies go to the high amp and its output and the low frequencies go to the low amp and its output. In the full range mode (biamp switch out), both outputs are full range.

The high amp's minimum impedance is 8 ohms...

Link for the owner's manual http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/800rb.pdf

3. JcHc

JcHc

Jun 3, 2006
    Chico, CA
    thanks, what might the advantage of that be? to have the lows into a 15 or such, and I wouldnt need more than one or 2 tens for the highs?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The advantage of biamping? Well it is supposed to be more efficient in that each frequency band has a dedicated power amp.

Personally, I like to run different cabinets full range as the overlap in covered frequencies sounds better to me. In other words, the whole is better than the sum of the parts.