1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

800RB-This Just In

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jelwood, Oct 20, 2013.

1. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    Used to be only the 400 and 800 rbs . I toured and gigged with. 400 until I realized I needed more watts . I grabbed an 800 off eBay but now use a Genz Benz 9. 0 shuttle

2. I bought 2 for less than $600

3. Dymond-

Dymond-

Jan 26, 2011
    London, ON
    Just bought one for 300 :D

4. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    I would be tempted to trade,my 800RB,for a nice original Music Man Stingray 4H. Don't like black body,of the Music Man.

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I'm gunna buy both! Then I will be the only one with two discontinued "RARE" 800 RB's. I might be persuaded to sell one for 3 g's! PM me if your interested!

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    lol

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is the original, so it set the standard.

8. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I've bought 2 for about $500 total. That's 'bout $250 a piece. Obviously, they were used, but they worked great.

9. Up to 8 watchers. I'm just waiting to see that "2 available" turn to "1 available"

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I may wrong but the original RB 800 and RB 400 weren't as focused on hitting a price point.

They weren't cheap amps and seeing how many of them 20 years old and still working I think they were well built.

There used to be a lot of pros playing these amps.

11. Gallien was never in the mindset of hitting a price point? He is an engineer first and foremost. With the design and build quality he certainly could have followed industry standards and asked for much more. The reason the 800RB is discontinued is it is a very expensive build by today's standards and most likely Gallien believed a street price of over $1,000 for a 300 watt amp would be out of line. It was left as unchanged as possible from the original 1981 design.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I doubt if he was as all powered focused on the price point as some were.

I seem to recall them using balanced transistor sets and the power caps struck me as being healthier than many amps of the day.

Full sized pots, HEAVY duty construction. Yet much lighter that many of the competition. I recall comparing mine to the ACC amp it was effectively replacing and wondering if it was possible for anything this small and light to do the job.

It did. For decades. And still worked when I sold it.

I went through more than a few amps. If I was going to play on a regular basis somewhere I would get and amp and leave it there rather than move it

SWR GK ACC, Ampeg Peavey, my current Eden. And many more.

Black face Fender Dual Showman. Even a Bogen 120 watt PA monster that would distort like crazy.

And I liked the "round sound" for lack of a better term of the GK. And dialing in a tone? Fast easy.

People still use these amps today with modern options that weigh much less.

My back doesn't allow that option. But if you get a chance play through one and see what you think of it.

13. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a 1001RB and a Neo 212 cab, I still like my 800RB and Ampeg 810 best.

14. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I have two 800rb's. One I bought new and one I just bought on TB. They rock.

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hope it's a really big bag, 'cuz this thing will be here for a long, long time.

16. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Actually I'd be surprised if they didn't sell tbh. The terms 'discontinued' and 'collector's item' usually appeal to people who see money as no object. This is the kind of item that a used-gear-averse customer with more money than sense would grab without bothering to do a lot of research. To be fair, finding a 800rb in truly new condition would be getting somewhat rare.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As much as I like 400 and 800 RB's, it's not like it's a vintage JTM45 or somethin'. I'd much rather have 3 used ones that are beat up and sound great than one that was "new in box"....discontinued or not.

18. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I knew I should-a got the 800
    instead of the 400 :crying:

Tabdog

19. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    a little late to this.... but a local shop has one sitting there brand new amd offered it to me for way less than half of what the beaver is asking. guess I better go snag it.

20. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    If it's an old 400rb, then you did okay. Wicked little heads.