Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

800RB with a single cab: Bag End S-15B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Jul 11, 2004.

1. I just purchased a GK 800RB from a fellow TBer, and I'm looking to pair it with a single, fairly lightweight cabinet. In my neck of the woods people with 800RBs pair them with 410 and 810 cabs, but I need a cab that is manageable and will fit in the back of a hatchback. My taste leans toward the old school (Motown, Roots Reggae), and my current amp is a B100R. So I'm thinking a single 15" is be the way to go. Would the 800RB and Bag End S-15B be a good match in terms of sound and power? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Seth

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sounds good. If you don't need too much treble in your sound, the S-15 is probably a good choice. Would probably work well for the Motown and reggae. If you get into funk and slap, you might want to consider the S-15X, which has a little tweeter built into it. It's only a few pounds more than the S-15.

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    As much as I dig Bag End cabs...
    If I just got a GK head, I'd be tryin' it out with Eden cabs ASAP. They're made for each other.
    For the 800RB specifically, I'd personally go with a 1x15 & 2x10 setup. I know I can't fit a large cab in my hatchback, but I can 2 compact cabs along with my rack. :cool:

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think the Bag End cabinet is a great choice. I used my S15D in my Motown/Classic R&B band for a couple of years. I've now gone all Euphonic (CXL112) but the Bag End is still my second choice for the best small, light cabinet for small to medium size rooms.

5. Cool! Thanks for the responses everyone. It looks like I'm going to give this combination a shot. . . and possibly add a 210 in the future, as you suggested T. Alan Smith.

nonsqtr, does the S-15X have a tweeter attenuator?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end does not have an attenuator for the tweeter but it really doesnt need it
    the s15dx is also a bit punchier in general due to a different magnet/driver assembly, but the s15d sounds great
    almost impossible to kill either cabinet