1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

800w compact heads: Quilter or Mark Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazznut, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    I will be getting a lightweight head soon. Quilter seems good at the price. But I am skeptical about the 100hz bass control center frequency. How might it stack up against a slightly more expensive Mark bass (tube or solid state)?

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    Add the Mesa Subway D800 and 800+ to your list. Supurb tone, service, support and engineering.

makaspar, kwdhsk, loki2772 and 3 others like this.
  3. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Yeah that too. (Bergantino, Eich, Form Factor, etc. are too much. Totally unimpressed with Aguilar Tonehammer)

4. /\/\3phist0

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    To your point.
    Why those 2?

Lots to choose from in that General space. What features are highest on your list? Physical dimensions, weight, tone, reliability, warranty, support, simple interface vs broad EQ, Active, passive, DI, effects loop, HPF, tube pre, what cabs, volume goals...

What style of music, example of a similar tone to what you are trying to achieve.

Details will help. Lots of quality gear for under 1k these days.
    Mesa
    Darkglass
    GK
    Epifani
    Trickfish
    Markbass
    Trace
    Quilter
    Ampeg
    Peavey
    Gensler
    Tecamp
    Demeter
    Phil Jones
    Eden

Nordschow

Stumbo, Lvjoebass and S-Bigbottom like this.
  5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Same here. Though it sounds like the AG700 might be a good option for you.

What do you want out of your amp? So many choices. What kind of tone are you looking for? What kind of amps have you used and liked?

+1

So many good options out there. I will say as much as I try to find something else, I can always find a happy place with a Markbass head. I currently use a LM Ninja and really like it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    jcerio, murphy and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  6. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    you left out the Carvin B1000, 900 Watts at 2 ohms and it on sale from Carvin for $499

7. /\/\3phist0

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    True

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    @jazznut it would be great if you fill out your profile. That way we can tell where you're located on this crazy rock. I mean if you were close to NJ I would let you hear my Genzler MG800 which I think is an amazing Class D head. I've tried quite a few in recent years too.

9. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    Get a GK. Bada Bing Bada Boom. Done.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I have both a Markbass and a Tonehammer, but never seen a Quilter personally.
    If you don't like the way the Tonehammer sounds mellow and warm, then you will like the Markbass.

11. I have used a Quilter as backline, and I thought it sounded grand. The funky EQ is actually really musical and very easy to dial in. I have a Markbass LM-III and while the EQ seems more full-featured, I always seem to have some trouble getting exactly what I want. The Markbass is a very good amp, and for $350 used it was a bargain, but I prefer the Quilter.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa D800 for the win!

13. RonEW

RonEW

Apr 5, 2017
    Mesa D800, 5 yr warranty, really don't need all those knobs anyway.

makaspar, lermgalieu and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  14. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Having not tried the Quilter, I think the Markbass is a good, quality, no frills choice. It has all of the necessities and they all work well. If you're looking for superior flexibility, I'm not discounting the MarkBass stuff, but there's a lot of other options that fit that mold a little better, such as the Mesa.

15. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a Quilter, MarkBass, GK MB500 and Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 (plus a few more, but these are the class d). I previously owned an Ampeg PF500. I love all of my current amps (hated the Ampeg, just not me) and they each have their own characteristics. Of all of them, the Quilter is my favorite. Bottom line for me is versatility. The Quilter has a very cool (if a bit odd) preamp, but when set to flat, it really is flat. That allows me to use a GK Plex, SansAmp or MXR M80 as a preamp. Had I found the Quilter years ago, it would have been my only amp. IMHO if you want to buy one amp, and have a ton of flexibility, the Quilter is the way to go.

HolmeBass, Stu_Bass and ThrewSilver like this.
  16. OldCityBassman

OldCityBassman Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Florida
  17. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Something similar to my LH-500 Hartke, but small & light.

To answer why not many of the others, many of those others have a mega price tag. The Qyklters are less than 600, the Markbass heads can go for that price as a demo model.

18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Heavily favouring the neck pickup... Supporting Member

I was just playing a Mesa D800 head, and I'll say, that is a great sounding class D , lightweight amp. Fantastic. I A/B'd it next to the Mark Bass little Mark 800 watt tube amp and to my ears the Mesa D800 sounded a lot nicer, clearer tone - richer with thicker low-end and great mids. The little Mark tube was nice as well but I prefer the Mesa.

makaspar, lermgalieu and SpruceApple like this.
  19. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank. The 5 year guarantee is appealing, but I find you must bring a back up amp to gigs. I have a Hartke LH-500 & my back up is an Ampeg B2 RE. (Terrible amp!). I was thinking of getting 2 Quilters at its great price, but I guess maybe I should just keep the Hartke as the backup.

20. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Something approaching the Marcus Miller sound. I presently use an SWR Goliath with a Hartke LH-500. Its adequate, but...... bulky