1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80s/90s "Christian metal" bassists - where are they now?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jaywa, May 1, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Interested if anyone knows the current doings of any of these bands/bassists (apologies that I don't know all of their names):

Stryper (Tim Gaines) - I saw Stryper several times and remember being amazed how skinny he was and how long his fingers were. Played Arias as I recall. I thought he was a pretty good player that never got enough love in the mix.

Bloodgood (forgot first name, his last name was Bloodgood) - the only bassist I ever saw play a Kubikci bass live. Their singer was really good too - good voice and amazing stage presence.

Barren Cross (name unknown) - These guys were ringers for Iron Maiden and their singer nailed that sound and their bassist had great tone a la Steve Harris. I think he played G&Ls but I'm not sure.

Trytan (name unknown) - They sounded a lot like Rush and were a trio, too, IIRC.

Saint (name unknown) - Sounded a lot like Judas Priest and their bass player had great tone.

Daryl Mansfield Band (name unknown) - Their bassist was left-handed and it was the first time I had ever seen a right handed bass played lefty a la Jimmy Haslip with the lowest string on the bottom. I remember wondering how in the heck anyone could ever play a bass that way.

All of these bands go way way back but I would be interested to know if any of their bassists are still playing out. Thanks in advance.

2. thedeester

thedeester

Apr 27, 2009
    Georgia
  3. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Whitecross had tons of different bassists and drummers. To me, Butch Dillon during the, "In the Kingdom" tour was fantastic. He did the first bass solo I have ever seen, and that fateful day in 1990 was when I knew the bass was my future.