Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

80s bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jun 7, 2002.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ok everyone i was listining to the radio the other day and they were doing a 80s pop thing and i forgot that there was alot of great bass players hidden in all that junk! One ofcourse i think we all know about is john taylor of duran duran! And the dude from too shy song kajagoogoo is that correct?
    So can you guys think of other great bass player from 80s pop junk? Just a fun topic for now!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mikey Craig from Culture Club.

3. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    They actually started out in 1978, but let's call them 80's. I've been listening to my XTC cd's in the car all this week. The bass player's name is Colin Moulding. The guy really has some inventive bass lines and great sound. Give them a listen if you are blowing the dust off your 80's cd collection one day and find some XTC in there. In particular, give these tracks a listen:
    Senses Working Overtime
    Life Begins at the Hop
    Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead
    Are You Receiving Me

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, I try to tell people about Moulding, and they mostly just say, "Who?"

There's some great bass playing on Oranges and Lemons, Nonesuch, and Wasp Star, to name but three.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    XTC still makes great C.D.'s!........one of my favorite
    " pop" bands!

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    How about Tyrone Brunson? Ah, you remember him. He had that hit song "The Smurf". I bought that album right after it came out and he did some good playing on it. Great slapper. I learned every song on it except for "The Smurf", which I never could quite get. Cheeeeese I know, but it has a hairy bass line on it!

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That's Nick Beggs, I believe. Cool player, but I didn't like Kajagoogoo! :)

There are a bunch of 80s bass players that I loved, but I never much listened to "true" pop. I suppose The Police was sort of close at times, and I like Sting.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    john taylor is awsome! He just had a great slap tone on rio and hungrey like a wolf! Makes ya wonder what ever happend to all these guys from the 80s. Probably studio musicians.

9. Did somebody say 80s bassists?????????

80s bassists rule!

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Kyle Henderson of the Producers!
    Ben Orr of the Cars

There were lots of great bass players back then who pretty much remained nameless and faceless. Seems like a good stand-out bass tone was a lot more prevalent then than now.

11. ANOTHER KYLE HENDERSON FAN!!!!!!
    ALRIGHT!!!

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm a big Kyle Henderson fan for perhaps a different reason than most... The Producers were the first "name" act that I ever got to open for during my garage band days. Kyle was really cool and supportive. Took the time to talk to me about gear, etc. Actually the whole band was really cool.

Plus, they're local boys...

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    John Taylor is the reason I began playing in 84/85 and is still one of my favorites and I also dug Mikey Craig work with Culture Club. But what about Pino Paladinos work with Paul Young? I also liked Mike Meseros of the Smithereens. Mike Mills had some pretty nice bass lines for REM in the 80's, when they used to make music.

I am a big 80's fan, that is when I grew up and was most influenced. People like JT and Mark King were such big influences on me and still are.

14. andy rourke.

15. Yeah army I'm also a big Mike MEZAROS fan...

:D

16. BTW who was the bassist for The Call???

Heard "The Walls Came Down"??? The bassline just plain kicks serious youknowwhat!!!!!!!

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too!
    BTW, I did not mention Henderson because Eric asked for bassists in the "Pop-Junk" genre...I don't hear The 'ducers(or XTC)that way. ;)

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know the guys name, but he played on that album Don Johnson did. He was badass. I remember the video (I believe the video was where Don was a photojournalist or something during Vietnam, I think the song was called "Looking for a heartbeat" or something cheesy like that) he was just playing the crap out of this Steinberger.

19. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Chalk another one up for Colin Moulding! One of the most creative bass players in pop!

Another forgotten '80s bass player is Carmine Rojas, who played with David Bowie on the Let's Dance album. Great basslines, great sound. And, oh: special award to the one who can mention the other bass player on that album! ;)

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Was it Bernard Edwards?......I can't rememeber:confused: Carmine is a great player!
    He plays with Rod Stewart now.....still plays with a pick:D