80's Fender Jazz Special vs Duff signature pickup spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fjbs85, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Fjbs85

Fjbs85

Jul 22, 2016
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you could shed some light on this topic.

I own one of the original Fender Jazz Specials from Japan, and also Fender's Duff Mckagan signature model. I noticed the pickups are closer together in the signature, and more spread apart on the original 80s one.

There is an obvious tonal difference, hence different body woods, hardaware, age, etc.

I can't find too much info on this subject. Do anyone know the pickup spacing from the original 80s, compared to the signature? Or what is the tonal difference between these two types of pickup spacing?

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    aren't these questions answered because you own both?

lz4005 and creaturegods like this.
  3. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Seems to me that the OP should get a ruler out and remove his earplugs :D

lz4005 and Lownote38 like this.
  4. Fjbs85

Fjbs85

Jul 22, 2016
    Guess I was more concerned on everyone's opinion of tonal differences, and reasons why they made that change. Excuse me.

5. The Duff sig model has never made a lot of sense to me - it's got a P-width nut rather than Jazz like the 80s MIJ IIRC, and they changed the pickup spacing... Not exactly the clone of his original instrument it's made out to be. Also quite expensive for a Mexican made Fender.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I'm guessing it was at his request.

What are the differences? If the Jazz pickup moved in a little on the sig bass, it will likely sound a little beefier when playing that pickup solo or PJ. The further toward the neck you move pickups the "rounder" they will sound.

Is that kind of what you're askong about?

As for the reason we can only speculate. Either they did it thay way because Duff asked them to or simply to differentiate that bass from the original a little more I'm guessing.

But, yeah. Short version is that (all other aspects of the basses being equal) one with a J pickup further from the bridge will sound beefier than one with a J pickup closer to the bridge.

4sight likes this.
  7. Fjbs85

Fjbs85

Jul 22, 2016
    Two Fingers, thank you. Yeah I was curious on what it does to the sound.

When I switch playing between them, I can notice the older models do sound rounder, compared to the signature.

Thanks for clarifying that!

8. Fjbs85

Fjbs85

Jul 22, 2016
    Any other thoughts about this to keep this subject going, is welcome and up for debate.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022