1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

80's Fender MIJ 'A' code p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreaserMatt, Oct 1, 2009.

1. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My friend just picked one of these up for $100; it's a project bass (needs a tuner, nut & p/g). It's pretty beat, but a good player. Anyone own one of these? It's got the s/n on the neck plate, instead of the headstock, like my 'E' code MIJ basses. Also, it's got an all maple neck, which I think is cool. I got some bad picks I'll try to post...

2. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    zzzDSC_0907.

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    zzzDSC_0911.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    zzzDSC_0912.

5. Probably one of the non-export models from the 80's. I know very little about them. The bridge suggests one of their lower level basses but it should still be nice as most of the MIJ Fender stuff from that era is.

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks!

7. I am in the process of rebuilding a P bass, and it needs literally everything but a body. I am looking at around 500 bucks to get it stuffed with quality parts and a good warmoth neck. By the time you are done with this you will have a sweet MIJ for like 350 bucks or so. That's a great deal no matter how you slice it.

8. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    That is the "A" series from 1985. That was the only MIJ line that had the serial number on the neckplate like the JV and SQ series. Quality was a bit lower to the JV and SQ but better than the "E"series.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    wow - I've had a few E series basses and thought they were superior to most of the MIA Fender's I've played. My main Fender is a 75 RI L series from 1994.

Based on the pic above. That bass looks to be similar to an E Series P that ran through here last year. That one was a PB62 in LPB. Same bridge but with threaded barrels. Same control cavity route. The pickup route on the E series was more precise though. It was tight and had the route for the 'dog ears' as opposed to all the extra space around the pickup.

I suppose that might be the diffeence in model. Maybe the RI's get more attention ?

Any way you slice it, if the neck is good - $100 for that bass was a steal!