1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

80's Fender Standard P bass Mij

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Ive just purchased a 80's Fender standard P bass Mij and trying to find more info on this particular model and having no luck . Its an #E serial number so made in japan 84-87. This model is interesting because it has no extra routing under the pickguard and a vintage style trussrod at the base of the neck but has the newer style decal in the eighties . I understand this was before they had an American Standard and even trying to research this model in the The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History book and How the Fender Bass Changed the World there is very infor mation about these transitional model P bass . Is there any one that can fill me in on info such were these alder or basswood ,even narrowing down the actual date of manufacturing or any info about these interesting basses . ( Sounds frickin awesome too !!):bassist:

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Take the neck off and check the date.

Its probably basswood, if I remember correctly.

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    pix plox

4. When i took the neck off it has Pb 70 on body and neck If i remember .

5. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    PB70 means it is a 1970 RI. It is probably a 1970 re-issue model made in early '80s. These '80s MIJ Fender were very well-crafted. I'll choose these basses over new CIJ or MIM Fender.

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    100_2726.

100_2727.

I have an "E" code one as well ('84-'87). It's nice.

7. You should be able to tell by the weight what it's made from. 8-to-9 lbs is alder, lighter Basswood. But, I'm not sure they used Basswood till the 90's. E serial is closer to 1987, Though the first number after the 'E' should date the year, from what I remember. Demand for MIJ was climbing at this point, and Fender was greedy to cash in and not repeat their dumb decisions and losses from the 70's. So production rose and quality wavered. By 1988 they'd move production the Korea and points further East and the shate really started to float with plywood bodies and crappy hardware.
    I'm sure Leo Fender had many a sleepless night after he sold the company to CBS in 1965. What they did with that mans good name.

8. Man this is great Thanks for the awesome info !!! I just need a Mij Jazz bass now !!