1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80's Ibanez x-series basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snackbandit, May 14, 2006.

1. snackbandit

snackbandit

May 14, 2006
    San Diego
    just saw one of these (ds650 if i remember correctly) and have been looking for more information about these types of basses (destroyer II, rocket roll/flying v, ds650, etc). been trying to look them up on google but have found very little info on them concerning weight, pickups, etc. i had bid on the destroyer that was up but failed to win unfortunately. if anyone has info about obtaining one of these or has a site that has info about them, please let me know! thanks a bunch.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    ibanezregister.com

3. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Awesome site!. Thanks for the link.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    My first bass was a red Ibanez Destroyer, bought new at the (long defunct) Lightning Music and Sound in Austin circa 1984. Good luck with your search.

Memories.

5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Was it a long scale or med scale?

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have no idea, so I have to assume it was long scale. It felt similar in scale to the MIJ P-Bass Special I also had around that time.

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    My second bass was a red 1984 Ibanez Destroyer (DB700), it was a long scale bass.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OMG, I had one of those... metallic candy apple red. The neck warped. :eyebrow:

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    +1
    That was my first bass too. :bassist:
    I wish I still had it for nastalgic purposes.
    80's Metal !!!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My first real bass was a red one too!!!

I watched eBay for nearly 2 years before I found the right one to buy... I got a black w/ binding PJ :bassist:

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL @ JH.

Did you ever refinish the mirror finish one you bought?

In truth, I've been looking for a good deal on one, too. I dont even care if the neck is trashed. I just want a body, cheap.

12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  13. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Will!:)

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that is THE only color this body style bass came in other than black w/ binding. The guitar of this era came in birdseye with cherry burst as well as the red and black. I should still have the catalogs at my folks house.

Funny story:

I bought mine with my old man @ Robbies Music near Willowbrook Mall (I forget the actual town). My Dad and the sales guy tried for an hour to get me to buy the Hagstrum Swede (killer mahogany brown les paul style bass). I was 13 and was not leaving without something pointy :bassist:

The sold it with case, but couldn't find the case. It took 6 months of hounding to finally get the case. When we picked it up, I grabbed it and was "Woah, that's too heavy" to myself.... I quickly grabbed my old man's keys and headed for the car. While my old man lingered and snagged strings for his Epi acoustic I snuck a peak in the case while locked in the back of the car....

Darnit there were only 3 or 4 big satin TAMA jackets inside... NOT an other bass!!!

:bassist: Oh well, at least we got a couple cool 80's styled jackets

[edit]
    yes and no... I refinished it but don't like it. It's disassembled and being shipped to a budy that refinishes guitars to have it sprayed silver metallic
    [/edit]

15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I wouldn't mind a scan of that catolog if you find it!!:)

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That particular bass look exactly like the one I had. I had forgotten the tuners were heart-shaped. I'd swap those babies out FAST.

17. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Wow, my first bass was a mahogany brown Hagstrom Swede...i still have it with the OHSC. A broken pickup ring is the only thing that keeps it from being mint. The neck on the Swedes are so thin they make a jazz bass neck look like a six string...:bassist:

18. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Yup, same here...that's the same one I had.
    Got it at Sam Ash in NYC.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LOL,

I got mine at Skip's Music in Sacremento.

20. snackbandit

snackbandit

May 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Haha, small world! No worries Funkster, congrats on the win. Have you had a chance to play it yet by chance?