80's keyboard synth bass sound needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by craigers2, Sep 5, 2004.

1. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    my band is trying to do some more 80's dance music, but i'm having a problem trying to get my bass to sound like the keyboards on the recordings. "Jungle Love" by Morris Day and the Time, etc.

i had a boss syb-3 for a while but i wasn't too impressed with it. what other pedals would you guys recommend? i also do have 1 space left in my rack and would almost prefer to have a rackmount effects unit if they make them.

thanks for the help.

2. If you can find an Akai Deep Impact it will answer all your needs and it is easy to use live because of it's 9 available presets. Short of that ElectroHarmonix has the Bass Micro Synth, it sounds great but it is analog so you'd need to change the sliders to get a different sound and it is a bit on the fragile side so no rough stuff.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    From what I hear, a Deep Impact will just about do the trick.

But keep in mind, a REAL 80's synth is cheaper. I got mine for $100 :)
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    cool! thanks for the help. i did some searches on the deep impact and it seems like it is just what i need.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one more vote for the deep impact
  6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I had one for a short time, but it is a very versatile pedal with great keyboard synth sounds. I miss it, but traded it for what I thought was a good deal.
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another vote for Deep Impact. A great synth pedal.
  8. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    is the deep impact also an envelope filter?
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  10. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    ok, so what actually does it do? i'm reading tons of threads about it, but they all suppose you know alittle about it and other effects as well... i'm confused between that and digitech synth wah. does that have an envelope filter too??? some people seem to be saying that you can create a synth sound with an octave pedal and an envelope filter together.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A bass synth only uses the bass as a trigger. It produces its own sound.

Filters do alterate the tone of your bass, they don't produce any on their own.
  12. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    so the digitech does both of these, right? i've read some posts and it says the akai has a mutron setting. that's an envelope filter, right?
  13. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just to supply another POV, I wasn't that nuts about the Deep Impact when I had it... sounded too 'digital' to my ears, and didn't seem to respond to dynamics well. I have the same complaints with the Digitech Bass Synth that a lot of people like.

OTOH, I like the discontinued Korg G5 a lot... but they're considerably more expensive + physically bigger. Requires some care in setting the input/output levels, but produces the fattest synth-type sounds to my ears, and responds well to dynamics.
  14. My bass Pod will do that sound..... sort of. My Peavey BASS FX has several patches that are really good synth bass. Goofey as it sounds, that BASS FX is a pretty impressive bass effects unit.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I own an Ibanez SB-7 and Akai Deep Impact. The Deep Impact will do the job, but they seem to be hard to find these days.

I just tried the Boss SYB-5 yesterday, and this will also do the job. Tweaking the synth effect seems to be easier on this pedal as compared to the Deep Impact. The synth effects and tracking seems to be improved over the older SYB-3 pedal. You'll still have some tracking problems on fast riffs using certain settings, I think it's unavoidable. There are many settings where the tracking is no problem. street price is about $170-$180 at the present time.