1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 80's MIJ J

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 4Mal, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    FS / FT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$660 in a beat but usable molded case - PRE Shipping.

MIJ E serial number dates to the mid 80's. 1 ding. Some light player wear Orange drop cap's, MIA CS 60's pickups with cloth leads or Duncan SJB1's at the buyers choice. Great player. Alder or Basswood body is mellower than Ash. Super blues / jazz /funk machine! Recent setup for low action with Chromes. This one is a great example of the best of Fender from the 80's!

Not a 62 RI but dressed like one. Has very similar neck profile, untinted neck, very slightly larger fretwire. Otherwise it's very much a 62, except it's over a pound lighter (between 8 and 8.5) than my CIJ 62 RI.

Trade bait for
    High quality mics (103, RE-20, 421, etc ...)
    ART Tube Channel or decent stereo mic pre
    Guitar ? Godin MultiAc (SA or not), steel or nylon other Canadian or American made HIGH quality guitars.
    Axon 100 MKII and cable

Plus minus cash as appropriate

2. PM'd

3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Looks like a nice, thick chunk of rosewood on that neck.

Sexy!

4. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    very nice indeed! although looking at the serial number i would guess late 80s - E9xxxxx means 1989.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    For US made instruments I think that is correct. For Made In Japan, E+6 digits dates from 1984 to 1987. Either way you date it- that is what many consider to be the in best era for MIJ Fender basses. I've had a few and never been disappointed.

6. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    absolutely! i have a power j special that kills. i'd love to get another 80s MIJ bass to go with it. quick - somebody buy this before i do! i can't afford it! the stack knobs make it all the more tempting...

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep - the stack knobs are sort of a 'little secret' for J bass guys ... The slight darkening you get from the two tone controls translates to fat. You lose some of that uber-clang but you retain the vintage pickup punch. It seems more focused.

I have too many J's here boy's. I'd really like to score another Godin but f'less this time - love's my J's but my Acoustibass gets all the love in my current acoustic scene... so don't be afraid to make an offer. I'm a little under water on this one as it is so keep that offer reasonable though.

8. ItsNotMeTalking

ItsNotMeTalking

Feb 16, 2005
    Hi, can you ship it to Argentina via USPS Priority maiL?
    the neck would need to be removed because of size limits (42" max lenght)
    and ship it in one or two boxes, cases cant be shipped.
    would you be ok with that?
    thanks, Ivan

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hi Ivan,
    I sent you a pm.

Thanks

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    SWEET! If I wasn't between jobs??:smug:

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    At first I thought it was your other MIJ jazz bass. You know which one I'm talking about. Hey, I'll be in pdx in a couple weeks just in case...

:p

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You mean the Ocean Teal 62 RI ? heh, heh ... BTW - I have a new found Godin semi-hollow, piezo pickup addiction. Now I just have to find the appropriate synth interface... If I make it back for the NE GTG I'll fly one back. uber-cool basses!

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    edited trades list

14. hey there -- what's the difference soundwise between the MIA CS 60's pickups with cloth leads or Duncan SJB1's?
    thanks

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    To clarify, you want acoustic guitars or acoustic bass guitars?

I might have a trade with another member here for one of my acoustics, but if he moves it before I get back before CA its up for grabs. Its a Martin Sigma GCR-7 which means its a 000-21 clone (rosewood back and sides, spruce top or so I was told)

Nice low action, all original, including the leather/pleather gig bag (I dunno if its real leather or not) and in great shape.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Sigma is not a guitar that would make my list.

This one looks to be traded for more amplification so I'm closing this. I'll re-open later if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.