1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80's or 90's jackson/ charvel pj vs modern pj basses sound differnt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluestar, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Bluestar

Bluestar

Dec 22, 2017
    So how would or has the sound changed on basses in general. Other than a pointy head stock what has changed? I see an old charvel for sale local, that is a pj set up 850xl how would that compared to a fender or the like. I know some people say tone wood but other than that.

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The charvel stuff in that era was Asian made (Japan and Korea mostly). It was the epiphone to the USA made jacksons. The build quality is typically really good. I never liked the electronics, I've always found them kind of flat and generic. The pickups are easy enough to change so if you find one that's a player you can add whatever electronic package you like. They are usually pretty inexpensive on the used market.

3. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I picked up an 88 charvel 2b and it has the best neck I've played. Otherwise, it's all the same. Unless your modding pickups/preamp they're all about the same. It really does come down to looks

4. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Charvette would the the epiphone, some are Korean and some Japanese but that didn’t come til the 90s. If we’re speaking 80s The next step up would pretty much be custom shop so yeah, the quality on the imports are pretty high. You are right on the money with the electronics. While the guitar side of the family might be different, the bass stuff was never super special. It’s a good thing pickup upgrades exist!

The main thing here will be the amazing necks, unique looks, and solid build quality. Just expect that you might want to upgrade electronics.

wolfkeller and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. I had a Japanese Charvel bass similar to the 850xl the OP is looking at. One difference compared to a similar PJ Fender style bass is the Charvel has a reverse P pickup (treble coil closer to the neck).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018