Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

80s Post Punk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Ive heard alot of good things about these kinda bands, but never really got into em. Stuff like the cult, the psychedelic furs, the cure, the television personalities , etc.. So is this stuff worth checking out ?? im bored so i figured id inquire into this.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    When I think of "Post-Punk" I don't think of the Cure or the Cult. Those are more metal and new wave...but that's all semantics.

Some British Post-Punk you may(or may not) like:

Essential Logic
    Gang of Four
    Joy Division
    The Mekons
    The Swans
    The Raincoats
    The Fall
    Magazine
    The Homosexuals (I think they're British)
    Wire

Some American:

The Minutemen
    Husker Du
    Pere Ubu
    Mission of Burma
    Anything put out by Dischord after 1985 (Fugazi, Lungfish, Beefeater etc.)
    Dinosuar Jr.

Other places:

Lilliput
    Metal Urbain.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Minutemen! Yeah.

Oh man, post punk... I thought I liked a punk band... guess not. :D

I like how all that defines this genre is it exsisted after punk. So Nu Metal is post punk, as is screamo. :D Post baroque is my favorite. :meh:

4. It's all semantics, where "post punk" to me can mean post 1980 DIY "underground" bands. I'd lump in 80's REM, and the scene described as "indie" as "post punk."

I think "post punk" died the day Peter Buck got plowed on an airplane saying 'you can't arrest me, I'm 'effin' Peter Buck of effin' REM!' :D

5. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IMO, every style is worth exploring... Being eclectic with your music tastes will enhance your abilities no matter what style of music you may be playing.

I personally liked both the Cure and the Cult.

6. would Rites of Spring be considered post punk? I've heard em called punk, post punk, emo, and hardcore emo (or screamo, as i hate to call it)...freaking a, get a definitive genre people.

7. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Easy there.

Everyone calls Minutemen and Husker Du hardcore, which I understand, but considering what passes for hardcore nowadays, it's hard to say who you're doing justice to lumping them into either category.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What?! Now the Minutemen are hardcore?! My lord, I hate genres so much.

OK, my point is anything is post anything it's anything that came after whatever it is post...

... damn.

OK. Example. 2001 is post 2000... ?

So these bands we speak of are not punky at all because they came after punk, because punk completely died with the birth of the first post-punk band.

9. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    From www.allmusic.com

After the punk revolution of 1977, a number of bands formed. They were all inspired by the independent spirit of punk, as well as its raw sound. Instead of replicating the sound of the Sex Pistols, many of these bands forged into more experimental territory, taking cues from Roxy Music, David Bowie, and T. Rex in addition to punk rock. The result was Post-Punk, a group of bands tied together by their counterculture spirit and defiance of accepted rock conventions. Many of these groups -- like Joy Division or the Cure -- created dark, bleak soundscapes that employed both synthesizers and guitars. Others had a lighter musical approach, but their lyrics and music were off-kilter and subverted traditional pop/rock song structures. Post-punk eventually evolved into alternative pop/rock in the '80s.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    80s post punk is one of my favourite genres :)

see will's post for my recommendations, plus joy division, the cure, siouxsie and the banshees (who i'm seeing tomorrow) etc.
    and........new wave alternative bands.

11. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Oh, and the Sugarcubes (Bjork's old band)

12. y'know what's even better? PRE-punk. iggy and the stooges, patti smith, the new york dolls. i always thought those bands really captured the spirit of rock and roll.

13. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    Magazine is the best post-punk band. Each of their four albums is wonderfully unique. The first is the most post-punk sounding (with loads of keyboards), the second is darker and almost goth-prog, the third (my favorite) is more new wave/funky, and the final is synth-poppy. 'Correct Use of Soap' is my favorite rock album. And Barry Adamson is one of the best rock bassists. Some people are turned off by the proggy keyboards (especially on the first two), but I think it's one of the reasons they're so unique--besides having the best post-punk guitarist and lyricist. Underrated band.

14. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    Nope. They relied more on aggression than creativity and innovation (I'm thinking Magazine, in particular). I think The New York Dolls are one of the most overrated bands. They have like 3 good songs.

The best "pre-punk" bands were Roxy Music and Brian Eno.

15. aggression is exactly what music needed at the time, to break it out of that bland, bloated, complacent rock ditch in which it was festering. and maybe iggy wasn't exactly innovative, but patti smith? Horses? come on.