1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80s Rock Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Hagstrom allday, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hagstrom allday

Hagstrom allday

Mar 25, 2013
    So I have joined a band and my first gig with them is less than a month away! I am excited and have always wanted to do this!
    They cover bands such as Cinderella, ratt, poison, GNR, so on. I am wondering should I play this with a pick or fingers ? I can do both and I am used to more fingers (geddy lee and flea) and I feel that's more traditional but I haven't played in a while an don't have good calluses :/ what should I do

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i play in a band like this and i never use a pick!

3. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I'm also in an 80s hair band and only use a pick when I play my 8-string. No one has ever complained.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Back when I covered that stuff, I stayed true to the recordings. Much of this material was recorded/performed with a pick. I played pick style where it was called for, especially the GNR tunes.

5. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This eras tone screams pick to me more than anything outside of punk.

6. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I have played all of these songs as well, and they SOUND better to me with a pick, because they are pumping 8ths for the most part. To my ear GNR doesn't sound right without a pick. (guess DUff only played pick)

I am not sure if the bassist from Ratt actually used a pick, but everytime I play "back for more" it just FEELS right with a pick.
    Regardless of what any "wise sage' on this board says, work on your skills until you can play equally well with PICK and Fingers.

7. Hagstrom allday

Hagstrom allday

Mar 25, 2013
    Thanks a ton for the opinions guys!

8. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    Pick

9. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    You're the bass player. No one is going to notice!!! :bag:

Use whatever you're comfortable with.

10. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I would for GNR, Poison and whoever else you cover that uses a pick. If you can do both, do it, I'd say. I always liked the sound of picks for some songs. John Paul Jones swears by using a pick for Rock. Broke my heart.

11. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    90% of an audiance will never know if the original song was recorded with a pick or fingers or if you are even playing the song note for note. BUT, 90% of an audiance can tell if you are out of tune or hitting wrong notes

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Of the bands listed, I'd only really consider Duff's work with Gn'R to be forward enough in the mix to really be noticeable in terms of tone. If you want to nail it, a pick is necessary, if it's okay to be a little off then use whatever you want. That's for you, your band, and your fans to decide.

13. I'm in an 80's hairband tribute as well. Congratulations, my friend. You're in for a GREAT time. If your audience is true to the 80's expect to get flashed a lot by the women in your audience... and maybe a few drunk dudes. The question of pick versus fingers? I think you should do whatever you enjoy best. I agree with everyone's comments above re: both pick and finger style but really don't worry about it... just enjoy the ride. Good luck.

14. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    To pick or not to pick that is the question whether it is nobler to play with ones fingers or not is for you to decide.