1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

80's Squier P Basses MIJ VS MIK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Pros, cons, what to look for etc.?? Best years??

A local friend of mine has an 80's MIK Squier P and it's a BEAUTIFUL sounding bass! It's also very light and resonant.

I just scored an 89 MIK P on the bay for under $200 shipped. It has a Badass bridge. I bought it on a whim and I'm hoping it's a good one. I'd like to educate myself as much as possible on the 80's Squiers :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have an '83 SQ serial # Japanese Squire. As you can see, mine has a pickguard. I added the bridge cover and thumbrest. It weighs 8.75 lb. and is ash wood. I like it alot.There is a website somewhere dedicated to Japanese Squires. Do a web search.
    basspictures008.

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nice bridge cover on the P, man. I have a black one just like it and would love to add the cover. Where did you get it, and was it easy to add? Thanks!

4. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I ordered it directly from Fender. I cost about $10.00. I looked at lots of pictures of vintage Fenders and just guessed where to drill the two holes to match the position in the pictures. Measure 10 times, drill once!!!;)

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I love my MIK Squier P! It's light, resonant, and plays great! I threw a badass on it and re-potted the pickups, it's my number one recording bass now! The best part, I picked it up for $50 on Craigslist. :D