80's tunes with great bass tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LarryO, May 31, 2004.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Bigmouth strikes again, and There is a light that never goes out by The Smiths......I never paid attention before but the bass tone in those songs are great
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    bigmouth strikes again is a marvellous song.
  3. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    hows about Sheila Take a Bow. Those bass lines dance all over the place! Any Smiths song rock!
  4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do I dare? Don't Stop Believing/Journey
  5. I recall being partial to anything Pino Palladino did, i.e., Every Time You Go Away by Paul Young, or Give Blood by Pete Townshend. His tone just cut like a hot knife through...
  6. I always thought Geddy's tone on the album Hold Your Fire was pretty good! Very different from his current tone.
  7. hmmmm,
    anything by duran duran, rhcp

im not sure what year this is from but give me the night by george benson, that just needs a mention
  8. Anything with Tony Levin (especially on Peter Gabriel's stuff).

I agree with the Pino mention, too.
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I would have to say that that's my favorite Geddy tone. In fact, just about any song where he plays a Wal sounds great to me. I used to prefer his old Rickenbacker sound, but I just love the tones he got out of his Wals.
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Operation Mindchrime from Queensryche, Awesome bass-tone
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Knack - My Sharona (I think it's still 80s?)
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ding ding, we have the two winners of greatest 80s bass tone.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of may all time faves - Don Was' (Fagenson's) lines and tone on "Walk the Dinosaur" by Was (Not Was) on the album "What Up, Dog ?"

Always thought the bass/tone on "Tears for Fears" material was very good, too.....very pure and strong, nothing fancy.

Plus, in no particular order, lots of the muscular lines produced by Nathan East, Marcus Miller, Mark King, and Stu Hamm
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "Running in the Family" By Level 42 has a nice tone (Mark King)

"Veronica" by Elvis Costello (on Spike) and Paul McCartney's "My Brave Face" (From Flowers in the Dirt) Have a great tone from Macca's old Hofner.
  15. ADeepShadeOfBlu

Mar 1, 2004
    Pull Up To My Bumper - Grace Jones.

The Sly & Robbie pocket on that track is a thing of beauty.
  16. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    MY SHARONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright, A Knack ally! I've always said that the Get The Knack album is incredibly engineered. Great bass sounds, great drum sounds, heck, just great all around.
  17. Pino played on a lot of the Tears for Fears stuff. As did Gail Ann Dorsey.

I am a big fan of Roland Orzabal and the Tears stuff. Very well written and produced. Even the new stuff is great.
  18. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The Whispers - 'And the Beat Goes On'
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...who played bass on that track?
    I have the record...the credits aren't specific; IIRC, Patitucci & Marcus Miller are listed in the liner notes.

Something tells me the Knack's "My Sharona" was from the late '70s. Hard to believe & just a little depressing.

'80s Bass tone-
    I like stuff such as Missing Person's "Give", The Motels' "Mission Of Mercy", Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer", Jellyfish's "That Is Why", etc.
    Pino's work on the Go West debut album.
    The whole The Night Fly album by Donald Fagen is a bass bonanza(Rainey, Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, & Marcus Miller). Jackson's tracks, "Ruby, Baby" & "I.G.Y" are very happenin' tone-wise.
    How 'bout Toto IV?
    How 'bout Living Colour's Vivid?
  20. Close. It came out in '79.