1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'81 pickup vs. newer model

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by eknivsnikta, Jul 18, 2007.

1. eknivsnikta

eknivsnikta

Jun 15, 2007
    a few years ago i replaced what i thought was an unfixable original pickup on my '81 L1000. i had a new one put in (with the alan wrench slots instead of the flathead.) i've since learned that the old pickup could've been repaired. so i'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference between the old pickups and the new ones, such as tone and volume?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My 1982 L2000e sounds markedly different than any newer L2000 I've played in stores. The pickups are hotter and there seems to be less treble to the sound when in the same settings...mine has some of the very early hex-headed pole pieces, the flatheads would probably sound even more different. It took me some time to grow accustomed to my L2000 after playing a newer L2500 primarily for a while, but now I really prefer the sound- even fatter than the L2500, which I didn't imagine was possible. I just had to start EQing in less bass and more treble than I was used to.

Karl

3. eknivsnikta

eknivsnikta

Jun 15, 2007
    very informative...thanks! i think the new pickup is a bit smaller, too, because there seems to be more space between the cavity perimeter and the pickup. by the way, what does the "e" stand for (L2000e)?

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I understand correctly, it was put on the original L2000s to differentiate the active electronics- there were some all passive L2000s made (without the "e") and the L1000/SB-1/SB-2, etc....were all passive as well. They probably dropped the E (I think in 1983?) because the all passive L2000 didn't really catch on, so there was no longer any need to differentiate.

Karl

5. eknivsnikta

eknivsnikta

Jun 15, 2007
    thanks again.

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    I was at the factory and compared my '80 L1K to a brand new 2K with 3 way coil switching. Sounded the same to me.

I have a new 2K coming Monday so I'll see on that one.

Jim

7. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Also, bear in mind that the magnets in pickups lose strength over time which changes the tone. Two identical pickups made 25 years apart are never going to sound the same.

8. eknivsnikta

eknivsnikta

Jun 15, 2007
    good point.