81 points? Who cares?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't watch hardley any TV, so when I turn on the news real quick it goes on forever about that guy on the Lakers scoring 81 points. Does it really matter. There are more important things going on in the world.

If you think about it, is it really all that impressive? I mean the guy puts a ball through a round metal rim with a net attatched to it. Wow amazing!

It's not like curing diseases or preforming open heart surgery is anything to wonder over. Sports and most of the people involved in them crack me up.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This can be said about alot of things. Playing bass.....posting on this forum....going to a movie....watching TV....

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I think 81 points in one game shows one of two things.

-- He's good enough that all his team members trust him more than they trust themselves. (Think old Michael Jordan)

-- He hogged the ball.
  4. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    -- The rest of his team couldn't shoot
    -- The rest of his team wouldn't shoot. Maybe they needed the publicity.
  5. I think it's impressive, but he's no Wilt the Stilt.
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I think it´s quite remarkable, especially nowdays...

Think of this, he´s the only the second player in the history of NBA to cross the 80 point mark.
    The last time someone did that was March 2 1962 and that was Wilt Chamberlains record 100 points.

FYI he didn´t hog the ball... his teammates started to feed him the ball so that he could score this much.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I remember getting in the high 70s or low 80s for a scrabble play once and then the play immediately following was for over 140. Needless to say my taunting time was cut short.
  8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Seems like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other to me, Ivar.

I'm not a fan of showboating, is all. It is cool, though, that he had the juice to get so much done in one game.
  9. I think scoring 81 points these days would be harder than scoring 100 points back in the early 60s. There have been an awful lot of new rules created since then, some of them as a direct result of Wilt's 100 point game, to make it harder to score like that.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree.

brad cook
  11. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Examples? The only one I can think of is that they've relaxed the illegal defense rules to permit zones, though with Wilt I don't think that would have made any difference.
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Aw, crap. Someone left the Bad Brains Whine Box on again....

It'd be nice if your myopic world view would disappear and you'd realize that just because something doesn't matter to you that it doesn't matter. But, you have always seemed incapable of going a week without whining/bitching/complaining about something, so if I said I was surprised, I'd be lying.
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I agree with you 100%
    Now you try it. In the big scheem of things it's nothing. In the sports world it's something. It's just entertainment.
  15. And the jerk at Jack in the box put ketchup on my burger. I'm gonna start a thread. :smug:
  16. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    By contrast, there was no 3-point shot in Wilt's day.

Not that Wilt himself would have been hitting a lot of 3's...... :D
  17. Impressive things about Bryant's 81-point performance:
    1) He did it in service of the team. The Lakers were losing by 18 points in the third quarter, and he decided to take over. He scored 55 points in the second half and they won by 18.
    2) He shot a great percentage.. 28-for-46, including 7-for-13 on three-pointers. Not to mention 18 out of 20 free throws.
    And yeah.. this achievement is a big deal, in context. Just like most other things.
  18. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    81 points! :eek: Damn... :eek:
  19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I hardly browse TB these days, so when I go over to OT and check out this thread I see this guy go on forever about how he is more right than everyone else. Do I really care? There are more important things in the world than this guy's opinion.

If you think about it, is he really all that great? I mean, the guy just hits stuff on a keyboard in an order that makes stories about how he thinks the world is stupid. Wow, amazing!

It's not like hes curing diseases or in medical school, not like he is helping to change the world or anything like that. Bigots crack me up.

(I don't even watch sports though)