1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

81 Ric fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aproud1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
  2. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I had a Ric fretless back in the day. I found that Rics don't really lend themselves well to being fretless, but YMMV.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    That bass had the frets removed and the finish removed from the neck.

4. Yeah I always found the idea of fretless ricks a bit of a weird idea but that one looks pretty sweet :)

Also, how is the finished removed from the neck? :confused:

5. +1

6. +1 on the opinion that it is a fretted Ric that has been defretted. The original Ric 4001 fretless had dot position markers and an unlined fretless fingerboard - almost identical to the 4003FL that is still available (Pics are on the Ric website)

This bass has the triangular position markers just like a fretted bass and the fret slots have clearly been filled with contrasting veneer to produced a lined fretless.

Fretted and fretless Ricks also have a lacquered fingerboard (I'm not sure if it's actually lacquer or polyester but whatever...) this is quite thick and glossy and is a distinctive Ric feature.

The fretless on eBay has this finish stripped down to what appears to be a bare fingerboard, maybe oil finished or something, but certainly not lacquered

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Wow. Cool. Thanks for all the info everyone.

I've been waiting to get a really nice fretless(you know the bass that plays itself with perfect intonation) and this is probably not it.

I was kind of set on saving to have Tom Clement build me one anyway.

Thanks again,
    Andy

8. ah of course i forgot they laquer the FB

9. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    IF you'd like to hear a fretless Ric, and a very good one at that, check out Chris Brubeck (you may have heard of his Dad).

Specificaly the Triple Play "Live" CD (there are others, Live is the best for Chris's fretless work)

http://www.brubeckmusic.com/tripleplay.html

I think the tone is drop dead on. And it sure isn't Jaco.
    It's great music in any case. You may come away with new recpect for the harmonica too.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021