Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

810 opinions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Feb 10, 2004.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I want to get an 810. i was using a peavey 810 for a while, it was a good cab(not as great as i had originally thought) but i want something better.

I need opinions on :
    Hartkes 810.
    Nemesis 810
    or any other brands you might suggest.
    I may just save up and get an ampeg 810, but i figured i would get opinions on these. There is no place around that carries either so trying them out is not possible.
    I dont like swr.

thanks
    nakoa

2. If you can track down a Trace Elliot 8x10, that's the best sounding one I've heard...really focused and tight. Other than that, look into the Genz Benz GBE 6x10 with the ports on the front. Truly an unbelieveable full-range cab. Then there's always the Mesa Powerhouse 8x10, which is still relatively new...or the Carvin 8x10, which would be the most economical.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I forgot completely about genz benz. I would love to try the 6x10.

Trace elliot is great, but i am wanting new stuff.

Carvin is completely out of the question.

thanks for the reply.

4. I may be biased since I live about 10 minutes from their showroom. Their 8x10 is actually pretty nice, and between that or the Peavey, I think Carvin wins.

Go for the Genz...you'd be saving some weight, but is a much better sounding cab than the Hartke (too tinny and bright) or the Nemesis (too...blah). My opinions only.

5. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I'm selling my nemesis 810. It sounds amazing but is extremely hard to tote around.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    How about two 4x10 Bag Ends?

Glue 'em together if it makes you feel better. :D

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    For sure. Most of the 8x10 cabs are either 4 2x10's or 2 4x10's housed in one box. They are seperately chambered and ported anyway, so why break your back.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    just do yourself a favor and get the ampeg.

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have an ampeg and it's great, get a used one for cheap, they get beat up no matter what you do to them or how much you care for them. so it really doesn't matter, get a used one for like 500, save yourself the money and hassel.

10. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I think you'll get a better sound with a 2 cab system but as far as 810s go Ampegs sound great and are invinvicle! I liked my nemesis sound more then an ampeg but it wasn't as sturdy or stable (stable = fell over at shows!) Most used ones are beat to **** and have blown speakers. So be careful

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I should have mentioned that i am using a hartke ha3500. I plan on upgrading to an ampeg svt4 though.
    The bass im using is a warwick streamer standard 5 string.
    What i want is a clear, ballsy tone that is good for fingerstyle as well as slap and some tapping. Im not interested in something with poor efficiency(acme) or 410/118 setups, but 2 4x10s are definately an option.

the peavey cab i was using had alot of lows, but it was lacking clarity.

No used gear for me, im going all new this time(ive never had the pleasure of owning "new" gear).

Although I have never tried bag end cabs, i have heard great things about them. how do their 410s sound?

How did the nemesis 810 keep falling over?

12. I would suggest the multiple cab route as well. If you didn't have enough "clarity" the additional tweeters/horns in a multiple cab configuration should solve this problem. Here are some other manufacturers you should consider-

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

http://www.drbasscabs.com/

Dr. Bass is coming out with a few new cabs. I just got a price sheet and the info should be up on his site soon. There's a few multiple driver/single cab sollution type offerings and either of these two might interest you-

BL 2128 800 watts RMS $399.00
    2x12 w/compression horn
    X-over w/HF level control
    35HZ to 20kHz 103 dB
    8 ohms
    24.5”h x 20.75”w x 15”d
    55 lbs.

BL 310 1050 watts RMS $439.00
    3x10 w/Compression horn
    40HZ to 20kHz 103db
    8 or 4 ohms
    24”h x 20.25”w x 15”d
    60 lbs.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Right now my favorite 8x10 is the Bergantino 6x10, but if you have to have eight speakers that won't do you any good. :)

What kind of tone are you looking for? Would you prefer a tweeter or no?

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

6x10's are an option. How much would a berg 610 run?
    I definately need a tweeter.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You should be able to find the Berg for less than $1000. However the Berg has no tweeter. You said you don't like SWR so that rules out the Goliath Sr. Maybe the Ampeg 610HLF will work for you? Has a tweeter.

16. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    one of the bands in our local scene uses a SWR 6x10 Goliath Sr with an SVT-4 pro and it sounds absolutley amazing