Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

810E vs. 610HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Why is the 810E way more popular than the 610HLF? The 610 is ported, is smaller, and has a tweeter where do not beleive the 810 has either. I dont see why Ampeg 810's are the coolest gear in rock when I played out of a 610 and it pushed harder than anything I have ever heard. It was a loud mother (and crystal clear at that).... It almost seems your paying more for the lesser product and 2 more speakers... 50 dollars less you got yourself a nice 610 that you can lug anywhere.

Anyone enlighten me here?

2. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Ported != Better
    Tweeter != Better

3. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I'm not sure I would describe that cabinet as easily portable.

4. Well.....the 810 is a fridge where the 610 is the size of...a stove? i dunno, but it is more portable than an 810.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't discount the sound of the Ampeg 8x10 so quickly, my son! There is a reason why they have been around since the 60's with little change in design. Yes, they are big and cumbersome, but if you have roadies then who cares! Ported does not equal better...neither does Tweeter...both are just different in sound. With a sealed cabinet you can get a lower frequency response before maxing out the speakers.

6. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Ive had both, and i must say, the 810s is far superior when it comes to my personal tastes. When i pushed my 610 to where i wanted it..it just couldnt handle it. The 810 sounds huge. When it comes to portability, the 610s has an advantage, but it is a small one. i can still take my 810s anywhere i want in the back of my explorer.

7. I really like the sound of sealed cabs, and never use tweeters . . . yeah, the 610 must be better . . .

8. and seriously, who complains about how portable the 810 is, it still has wheels, its not that much bigger than the 610

9. I was asking a serious question mr I got a mohawk and wanted a serious answer not some cocky I know it all answer. I am seriously stuck between the two, and am soon to purchase one. I played out of a 610 HLF and it had some serious punch and some serious low end. I play in a hardcore band adn my sound is very much punch. I was looking at the fact of the tweeter because I am known to pull off pinch harmonics and such. So thanks for the sarcastic as hell comment buddy.

Masher and leftyguy...Because of your comments I am stuck more than ever. Does guitar center let you bring in you bass and let you try out all your **** on their bass. I have a decently heavily modded P and I want to hear what it sounds liek with my bass and my setup and such. They have a heart attack when I bring anything in there so what woudl they do about a bass?

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    between the 2 cabs they are the same for portabilty they both have wheels just tilt and roll. yeah the 8x10 is heavier when lifting for the brief moments when you actually have to get it in a car but if you have a van or truck then its basically the same, get it to the back, tilt towards you and pull it in. You can get the 6x10 ( i have one great cab) and get plumbing test plugs from home depot the 3" ones and close up the ports then you have the 8x10 sound in a smaller cab with a tweeter. I've found that the 6x10 gets a little muddy in the low end and I also prefer the sound of a sealed cab sounds tighter and "faster"

11. Guitar Center does. Walk in and get it checked by the man near the door, then when you're done, check with him again so he knows you're leaving with the same bass you came with.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Even better still, GC has a 30 day return policy. You can take it home, try it in a real world setting and return it if you don't like what you hear. They are very different sounding cabs. You will be the only one that can decide which is best for your needs. :)

13. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    If I were not to get the 810E, then i'd get the SVT-410HLF before the 610HLF.

14. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    610 cabinet is only ported on the bottom two speakers. The upper four are sealed. Weird design, I'll take the 810 any day...I own it. I have played through the 610 and it sounded great, however, the Ampeg message board had many post's of owners having problems with the two ported speakers.

15. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    agreed....if you play loud and in a hardcore band (as do i ) your gonna have some frustration with the 610 (as did i ).

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I don't recall any 'widespread' complaints about the Ampeg 610 on the Ampeg forum. Probably about as many as the 'gunshot noise' with a 4 Pro and 810E. I believe the general concensous was with the 4pro/ 810E, people were overpowering or pushing too much low end and likewise with the 610. Pushing too much low end (esp below the cabs tuning frequency), or pushing too much volume causes overexcursion of the speakers which is generally referred to as the speakers 'farting'. I'm not a tech, but this what I have surmized from all I have read about the subject. :)

I think you should at least try the 810, but if you like the 610 than use it. Bottom line is you need to get the right tool for your particular needs.

17. The 810 also makes for a roomier casket. :eyebrow:

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    One of my favorite bassists in town uses an Ampeg 6x10 and a rack system (pre/power). That thing had punch and volume, it kicked ass. I was very impressed.The previous band that night had a bassist using an Ampeg 8x10 and it was some of the sorriest tone Ive ever heard. Maybe the head was too weak, or he was playing an active bass with no battery.

I am sure your savvy with EQ and the way you are powering the cab has a huge part to do with the 6x10/8x10 debate.

Some 6x10s seem to rival their 8x10 brothers. For exmple, Mesa's Powerhouse 6x10 has a much wider design than the Powerhouse 8x10. I am not sure how differently the cabs are engineered, but they probably arent terribly different.

Ive always thought 6x10s were cool, especially two of them.

19. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Ive got to A/B them with an ampeg head and a p bass. I really liked the 8x10 better. It had a better overall sound. With the 610 i got more of a modern sound. Probally because of the tweeter and what not. But with the 810 i was able to get what i think a bass should sound like. Just a good all around tone. With some time on the amp i got it to sound just like the 610.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If Mohawk's comments bothered you that much then you arent tough enough for the 8x10.

Go buy the 610HLF.