1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

82 Fenders USA vs. MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Oct 21, 2013.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Hey, I know the early original Japanese run of Fenders are very well done and sought after (Squier and JV's). You don't hear much about the USA builds from 82-83 (not the American Vintage). Was the standard USA line of that time a better product than the late 70's, or had the improvements at Fender here not trickled down?

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It really depends on the piece. I had a standard MIA Jazz I bought new in '83. It had a one-ply/one-piece white pickguard and strat knobs which are not well thought of, yet the bass was really solid over many years of use and abuse. At the time I sold it it had an Fender Elite bridge, SD active "Live Wire" pickups, a graphite nut and was defretted out of necessity(I wore the frets-out...damn Rotosounds!). Even though I got more for it than I paid new I wish I still had it.