Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

82 G&L L-2000 or a new Spector NS4CR?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Apr 6, 2001.

1. I've played both these basses and I like them about the same. They are also both right in my price range( the G&L being a little more expensive) What in looking into is what one is better made and not have problems down the road.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much is the L-2000? If it priced near a new NS-4 CR, that's TOO much!!!! I've seen L-2000 sell on eBay form $500-750. New NS-4 CR's are $1200. Unless your talking about Musicians Friends blowouts of 99 models. ($699-899) I own both. The G&L is a more versatile sounding bass. You can get alot of sounds out of that baby!!!!! But the Spectors are just the BEST!!!!! Feel, sound, playability!!!!! That's a tough decesion!!!!!

3. the G&L is 789 and the spector is 699, I like then about the same and they are both in the color I want. So I think I'm going with the spector because its new. The G&L is no special price so I can alway get one later but the spector is like 5 or 6 hundered off the normal price.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played both and have a harder time getting "my" tone out of the G&L. That's my opinion. But, also, I'm a bigger fan of Spectors than Nino or Mr. Dead (ssshhhh...don't tell 'em that I said that, though;))

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I have 2 G&L's & 6 Spectors!!!!!! I'd have to say I'm a pretty big fan of Spector basses!!! ;) Look @ my avatar for Gad's sake. LOL!!!!! :)

Yeah I know I can play only one @ a time. My been telling me that since I met her. LOL

6. nino, I see you have a bass you made from warmoth What kind of quality are there parts? and would you get another one? I was thinking of making sorta a p-bass/musicman copy.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Warmoth parts are superior quality!!!! I have Sadowsky clone, a P neck on a Pbass, an 8 string J bass (sold a while back), & a Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) copy (70's re-issue neck w/Warmoth Lake Placid Blue body, mirrored P/G, BadAss II. Sold a long while back) I highly recomend one. I almost built another Sadowsky clone. Click on the File extension.

8. I own NO G&L basses, only SPECTORS! Actually, I auditoned a G&L 5500 (w/ EMG DC40 pickups standard) along with many other basses. Although I thought the G&L was better than the US Fender Jazz, Precision or the Music Man Stingray, Spector smoked them all so I bought my first one (and 2 more to follow)! The only bass that was in the ball park of the Spector CR at the time was the Pedulla Thunderbass 5 but that sold for a grand more so that made the choice real easy!!!

9. thank for all the input, my choice is much easier now.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, go with the Spector.

I love my L-2000's, but they are asking way too much for an '82. I bought a used one on ebay that was less than a year old for only $500, so $789 is robbery. Even a brand new one at Bass Northwest is ~$899.

Go with the Spector for now, that L-2000 is way overpriced. You can always find a good L-2000 used later on I bet.