82' G&L L2K

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amedee, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Does anybody have an 82' hog black bass like mine with a maple neck? I always see different necks than mine or different paint color. Can anybody get a picture of one that looks exactly like mine ? Or do I have the only black mahogany maple one in the world ?

Thank you

Christian

2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I don't have a clue. But I do know that's a very cool bass. Nice...

Love the maple!

Amedee likes this.
  3. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    It is truly unbelievable

4. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    it is bad bad bass

5. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    All original as far as I know. early electronics.

6. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I haven't seen one but odds are there must be more, but probably not many.
    Sweet!

I have the polar opposite of yours, 82 L2KE, Natural Ash with a Rosewood board.
    How is yours with the early electronics? Mine is much more aggressive in general than for instance my 2014 L2500., In a good way. I love the neck profile too!

Love mine! It's a beast!

Amedee and Gilmourisgod like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I had thought all the mahogany bodies were clear or transparent finishes, guess not. Mahogany is a lot more expensive than ash, alder, or basswood, so it's usually not painted (except on Gibsons). I'm gonna go out on a shaky limb of guesswork and suggest it was a "seconds" mahogany body, got a ding in it during manufacture, or maybe just mismatched color on the pieces, so off to the paint shop it went. I'm surprised to see no obvious primer coat under the black, my 83' L2k has bright blue primer under the black. Were you the first owner? Possible somebody refin'd it along the way? Short of stripping it, you'll never know, and probably don't care. Early L2k's are among the best production instruments ever made IMO, and you have what looks like a unique bass. It's all good.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Amedee and TinIndian like this.
  8. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    Well the base is definitely unique it had a clearcoat finish under the black. Maybe that's why they didn't have primer I'm thinking something happened to the clearcoat finish or something and had to paint it epoxy black. Paint is much thicker on the sides and top where the paint is chipped off then where the previous owner would rest his finger on the bottom part while he slapped or popped or something. Maybe one of the workers at the factory decided to save this one?

9. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca

11. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    I'm at least the third owner.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Could have been a custom order.
    "different necks than mine:"
    later necks had the pointy bit on them, and no skunk stripe on the back.
    All the mahogany ones I had were tobacco burst.

Amedee likes this.
  13. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    You have the early electronics also?
    All I know is that it seems to have the early electronics and it plays great and sounds better. It might need to get a fret dressing at some point. I have Labella 45 to 105 nickel. What is your take on the early electronics compared to having the treble knob work when it is on the bridge pick up?

14. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    I absolutely love it. It sounds really good.

15. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    So you have one too with the early electronics. I love mine, however I don't have any other beautiful GL monsters to compare it to. This thing has tone for days

TinIndian likes this.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Well when I got mine back in March, it took the #1 spot in my lineup from jump street. Really impressed with it.

Amedee likes this.
  17. Amedee

Amedee

Sep 25, 2016
    Sebastopol,Ca
    I just love it. i'm glad that you got one plays great.

TinIndian likes this.
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had 50 something G&L I think
    Mostly the early stuff was my favorite
    However I had late model stuff I liked too
    I liked the single coil mode on early stuff

Amedee likes this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One just like that sold recently in the Wilmington NC area. I missed it by a few minutes and it went for a stupid low price.

20. I have an L1000 version Hog body from 81/82. Mine is a translucent finish. That being said, G&L will do whatever you want, so if the original customer wanted a mahogany body bass with a standard black finish, they would do it. I once had the factory put a standard white finish on an ash body SB2 I ordered years ago.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021