1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'82 Squier JV P-bass - what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Mar 30, 2006.

1. '82 Squier JV Precision bass. Sunburst finish, maple neck ( think Mr Entwistle, Live at Leeds).
    As the title suggested, what is it worth?

2. BOOMP

3. i checked ebay and i see that squier basses are going for about $250, granted they aren't the same as your bass, but i would assume you could get somewhere around 250 for it (which according to XE.com is 144 GBP)

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That 80's Squire is a totaly different animal than the used garden variety Squires on ebay. Wish I could enlarge the pick you put up, but I'd say a Made in Japan 80's Squire should get at least $450 if it's in good condition.

Just did a quick search on that model. That's the early version of the Vintage Re-issue. With the case, I'd say $450 is probably low. Those are GREAT basses.

5. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have an '83 "SQ" serial # version with Rosewood neck. I'm not sure if they are valued the same. I got mine for $275 at a guitar store 2 years ago. I think its worth at least as much as a used USA Fender, which is about $450 to $500.00. I have mine insured for $450.00.Everyone who's played it loves the feel, look and tone (flatwounds). The 2 piece ash is beautifully book matched. I added a bridge cover for a more vintage look and some S.D. Quarter- pounders.

6. Cheers all:)

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i got my 83 sq off of ebay around 6 months ago for around 250

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The Squire JV is the Japanese Vintage re-issue, The rough equivilent of the American 62/57 re issue. The best of the Squire breed as far as I'm concerned. The JV should fetch a premium over other 80's Squires. Being Sunburst, my guess would be that yours has an Alder Body as well. Also, add a premium for that.

9. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I have a Korean SQ-P-Bass which on the fender site comes up 86-87 in the Japan search, the site does not list Korean, so would this info be correct? How would I be able to find the value of this bass?

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm 99.9% sure that all the Squires of 86/87 vintage were made in Japan. I think the switch to Korea was around 89 or 90. Not positive.. The value of your Korean bass should be the same as any of the other Korean Squires. In exelent used condition... about $150 would be my guess without any more specific info. The JV is something totaly different.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I just bought a Squier II P bass made in Korea, and was wondering the same thing. Fender's website just refers to "the '80's" with Squier IIs, but doesn't mention Korea. This one has quite a few dings, and the finish has darkened (a former owner had some decals on the face which have been removed, and the finish is much lighter there).

12. It's going on Ebay this afternoon... I'll let you know how it turns out!

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    the early first run of squire precisions were acctually made up of nos mia fender parts ...thats why they kick serious butt over the squiers of today....i used to have an oly white precision...really nice bass.:bassist:

14. It made £450
    :)

15. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    The ultimate JV Squier site. Its all here!
    http://21frets.com/

16. dph

dph

Oct 12, 2005
    Here's a Jazz that sold for $949

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Used USA Fenders for $450?

Where you shopping brah?

18. Anywhere circa 2006.

19. hey i sold a squier e series like yours for about 400 shipped,and just sold a 85 MIJ squeir for 350 shipped