Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'83 fender jazz (amrican)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brien_4, Nov 21, 2003.

1. hey,

i was checking out a local music store in halifax the other day when i saw this unbelievable looking bass. turned out to be an 83 fender jazz bass, american made. the pickups were replaced with emg's and the stock pickguard had been removed but it was in beautiful condition and i was told that the original stuff could be had. the music store was selling the bass for an owner and was asking somewhere near 900 (canadian funds, obviously) think that's a pretty good deal? or not so much? thanks, God Bless.

2. I think that is a decent price, try and bring him down a little though :)

3. I'd really make sure you like how it sounds, and that it's well built. I've heard that the quality Fenders during that time was kind of lacking (to put it kindly).

4. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    yeah jacob is right, for once. the fenders were typically not good from 79 thru the 80's. the 80's sucked, sorry to get off on a tangent. you should check other vintage fenders so you have something to compare it to. you could buy an early 70's jazz bass for about a 1000- maybe a little more, but the difference is worth it. If the bass is beat up it only adds character, if it still plays well. i wouldnt rush in to something that "sounds" like a good deal if you dont know about it. if it were me, i wouldn't go near the bass, but it might be what you want. hoped that helped.

5. The 83 P bass is worth what they are asking, just make sure the neck is straight, look down the neck and make sure it's not twisting.

Ask tons of questions, if you need to.

[​IMG]
    Treena