1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'83 JV Squier or '16 Mexi Jazz What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Jan 6, 2017.

1. 1983 JV Squier Jazz

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. 2016 MIM Fender Jazz

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Keep looking

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this one. I'm considering a couple of basses. Both are white/rosewood. The MIM jazz I have played. Its nice and $300 less than the 1983 JV Squier which I haven't seen yet. Whats likely to be the better instrument?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The 2016 is three hundred less than the JV so the Squier is $900?

3. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    New MIM's are good quality. I can't see how a 83' Squier could be too much better than a new bass.

4. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Squier is $800 Cdn and MIM is $475 Cdn.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    JV Squier hands down! A great bass as good as anything Fender USA put out then and even up to now for a Standard jazz. They are also hard to find and will only increases in value. Plus you can get a MIM anywhere as they they are plentiful as trees but A JV is Sweeeet!

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The one that you physically held in your hands and played. And if you're buying an MIM new through an authorized dealer, it should come with a 1-Year Limited Warranty. With the Squier, not so much.

In the interest of full disclosure: I own four MIMs.

7. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Its a slightly used MIM

8. Classic '60 or Mexican Standard? (trussrod at the heel or headstock)

I'd vote for the JV for now, although the JV Precisions are better than the JV Jazz's. So if it's a classic '60 Jazz Bass, it's a tie between those two, with a slight bias towards the classic '60 (I have that one, and it's a stellar bass)

AlexanderB likes this.
  9. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Mexican Standard

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    While I am no expert, I own a 1982/83 JV Precision (bought in 1996!), and it is a great instrument. I have played MIA Fenders (Std and AVRI) that have been close in quality, and CS basses that were as good or better. Funnily, each and every of the limited number of JVs I've tried were also very good instruments...

MIM? I have never played one (ever), that was on par with the JVs, and that includes Classic 60s, HW1/RoadWorn and Geddy Lee.

bassbully likes this.
  11. JV without a doubt then.

ajkula66 likes this.
  12. ok, its a few days old, but buy the Fender. People will look at the Squier as a beginner instrument, regardless where its made. Trust me. I bought a VM jag for practice. It rocks, I played it at my past 5 gigs. I got that 'you play a Squier' look a couple of times. Never the less, I recently bought a Fender P & Squier is for sale. But in saying that, the Japan Squier basses are great & hard to find.

13. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Got that too, until I plugged in. BOOM
    DfDhbBz.
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pup, La Bella tapewound strings, replaced pots and jack with CTS and Switchcraft respectively.

pappabass likes this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Matti
    early Squiers are based on the Pre- CBS Fenders. As said before they can be real killers.

Their finish won't be the same as on a modern MIM or any other recently built Fender- or Squier- bass:
    A little bit of Paint can make an awfullllll lot for/against the Sound
    Also the neck won't have the same "touch"!

So without having both in my hands its hard to tell wich one I would go for.
    So just play them both: first without amp, then with the same amp (if you can).

lots of fun with whatever you buy!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

P.S. nice Avatar (mine is 1973)