Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

83 squier p-bass...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by demolition, Oct 14, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I bought a old Japanese Squier a few weeks ago of e-bay for 100.00$,it belonged to a pro bass player who did some mods back when it was a few years old.
    First was a brass nut,not too bad a job but the real issue is that he had an original Bad-ass bridge put on it and since the body was'nt customized for it the neck was shimmed with a piece of maple to raise the whole neck higher because the thickness of the bridge was much more than the original Fender type bridge,and it made having low action impossible ,so the shim makes the whole neck sit higher in the pocket,it is not to thick probably 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick,and it was a great job,the bass plays as good as any vintage(or newer for that matter)bass i own or played before.
    My Q is it OK for the bass to stay like this? will it put more strain on the neck since the geometry is now different?will it cause the bass to be harder to tune? ETC......,it seems like it needs to be tuned more than my other basses,and they include new american fender's,older Japan's,new mexican fenders(all different models are represented)could the neck customization do anything negative ? the bass plays great,action perfect,no dead spots anywhere,and I must say is a prime example of what everybody says a japanese fender should be.
    any input would be great
    A.N. :bassist:

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I don't think this setup will hurt anything, but I'm no expert. If you replace your tuners you might not have to tune so often.